Posted September 14, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #349 — Friday, 09.14.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. TECH CONFERENCE CELEBS: Jessica Alba was at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco this week, but the focus was on different famous faces. The New York Times Bits blog: ”[Mark] Zuckerberg seems to be the Elvis Presley of our era. As he began to speak, nearly all of the 3,600 people in attendance pulled out their smartphones in complete unison—no flip-phones here—to snap a picture and share it on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.” They're driving conference content too. Eric Eldon, co-editor of TechCrunch: “I think people want to understand what these guys have done to get them onstage.” http://nyti.ms/R1mTve
2. NEW EBAY LOGO: Following in Twitter and Microsoft's footsteps, eBay has redesigned its logo for the first time since the company's founding 17 years ago. AdWeek: “Toning down the logo is likewise meant to be metaphorical—with the streamlined mark embodying a 'cleaner, more contemporary and consistent experience' offered by eBay. The new logo will begin to appear across eBay sites and channels this fall." http://bit.ly/U9mSaC
3. DR PEPPER DEBATE: Dr Pepper sparked a heated debate yesterday among Facebook fans after posting an ad that illustrated an ape evolving into a man due to the discovery of Dr Pepper. Hours after the ad went live, the post had upward of 22,000 likes and more than 1,900 comments. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/QVh1t8
4. FLIGHT PRICE: In a movement to prevent travelers from using online travel agencies such as Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity, airline carriers will charge extra fees to customers who don't book travel directly with the airline. Fox News: “Contracts with the online travel agencies prohibit airlines from offering lower fares on their sites. Instead, airlines … often provide discount codes in emails to their frequent fliers or through Facebook and Twitter. The airlines face a delicate balance. The online travel agencies account for the lion's share of ticket sales. But the airlines want to trim the fees that eat into their profit margins." http://fxn.ws/PvHjAj
5. GREY POUPON'S “CLASSY” CAMPAIGN: With its return to mass-market advertising for the first time in 15 years, Grey Poupon's new campaign requires Facebook fans to have a certain level of sophistication, as determined by a “classy” algorithm. AdWeek: “The brand says the algorithm 'will search and judge users' profiles based on their proper use of grammar, art taste, restaurant check-ins, books read and movie selections, to name a few. If the algorithm detects poor taste in music or TXT speak, for example, they could be rejected for membership. Those who do not qualify in the upper percentile will have their ”like” deleted, and be asked to refine their profile before trying again.'" http://bit.ly/PbEouw
6. BEST HOTELS: Business Travel News released the results of its annual hotel chain survey. A new scoring system has beat out some industry mainstays, like the Ritz-Carlton, which was bumped to fifth place from its number one spot last year. Gadling: http://aol.it/TObepP
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: EVENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE ++
Calling all nonprofits! We're creating an ebook to showcase 10 to 12 clever ideas nonprofit organizations have used to take their events to the next level. If you've got a clever or creative idea you'd like to share, please let us know by clicking here. Submission deadline is September 17.
* BEST IDEAS OF THE WEEK *
Here’s a look at 10 highlights from our event coverage this week, including campaign banners at the Homeland season two premiere, salad pops at the final Fashion Cares, and TIFF's Lite Brite installation. http://bit.ly/OnPCd5
* DEPT. OF ADVICE *
From The New York Times' “Dear FloFab” column by food and entertaining writer Florence Fabricant: “A formal invitation and black tie certainly do create expectations in terms of the nature of an event. Cold cuts and paper plates are not among them.” Indeed. http://nyti.ms/TPox9o
* BLOGGED *
Velvet Chainsaw’s Jeff Hurt says conferences are packed with information, but simply listening doesn't help attendees come away with new knowledge—they must participate in social learning. People need the opportunity to talk with each other about what they're learning, so peer conversation is key. "[W]e must stop seeing our meetings as containers for distributing information and start seeing them as a process to facilitate learning … The more our attendees become participants in social learning during our event, the more likely they will want to return next year." http://bit.ly/NrqfLN
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Whisky Live, a tasting and educational event sponsored by Whisky Magazine, debuts in Boston at the Sheraton Boston Hotel September 22. The event features more than 100 whiskeys to sample, food and cocktails, and entertainment. http://bo.st/TOCG6I
Team Impact will host its first fund-raiser, the Game Day Gala, on October 4 at the Westin Boston Waterfront, with a “Homecoming” theme.
CHICAGO: The Lyric Opera of Chicago's opening night gala benefit will offer a performance of Elektra at the Civic Opera House on October 6. The ensuing Opera Ball takes place at a new location—the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel—with decor by Heffernan Morgan.
The Chicago Human Rhythm Project's Jubalee gala October 29 at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park will include percussion dance performances, dinner, auctions, a raffle, and an award presentation.
Modern Luxury will host a black-tie launch party for its new NS Magazine on October 4. The event, with catering from the Entertaining Company, will be at a $9.4 million Coldwell Banker Previews International residence in Winnetka.
LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas Weekly has a rundown of local events for National Hispanic Heritage Month: http://bit.ly/NrkFsB
LOS ANGELES: Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo had the largest comic-convention debut in the world when it launched last year. It will return this weekend, and organizers say they expect to double the 35,000 attendance figure from last year. NBC Los Angeles: http://bit.ly/OqkGhV
San Antonio Winery is celebrating its 95th anniversary on September 27.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The first edition of Limited Edition Miami Beach, the travel trade event by Beyond Luxury Media and Design Hotels, will be May 10 to 13. http://sacb.ee/QCMTCM
On October 2, Common Threads will host the third annual World Festival Miami. The event benefits Common Thread’s cooking and nutrition program for Miami youth.
NEW YORK: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala has been announced for May 6. The spring 2013 event, ”Punk: Chaos to Couture,” will examine the impact of punk from its beginning in the ’70s through its impact on fashion today. http://bit.ly/O1yyPK
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotel is hosting the Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic on October 12 and 13. The event will include an outdoor festival with food from the resort's restaurants and lounges, beverage seminars taught by the hotel’s certified experts, and opportunities to meet celebrity chefs such as Todd English and Michael Mina.
TORONTO: AwesTruck 2012, Ontario’s first food truck awards, pointed out the shortcomings in the Toronto food truck scene after the city only scored one award—recognition for a pop-up business, not a food truck. http://bit.ly/OaBRhM
WASHINGTON: Local coffee roaster, Vigilante, has taken over Dupont Circle's Mr. Yogato on weekday mornings in the form of a pop-up caffeine shop.
America’s Next Top Model season-eight winner Jaslene Gonzalez will make her fourth appearance at DC50’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Expo on October 20 at the Washington Convention Center.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.