Posted September 20, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #353 — Thursday, 09.20.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. SMART ADVERTISING: Glacéau brand Smartwater released an ad campaign featuring spokesperson Jennifer Aniston that ups the excitement level of its ads. The ad depicts the star as pregnant. (She’s not.) Director Alek Keshishian: “We focused on the most prominent rumors out there, and took them to their most logically absurd conclusion. Sensational celebrity gossip is so ubiquitous, and addressing it in a humorous way felt like a perfect vehicle to get multiple views for Smartwater while creating a sense of empathy for both Aniston and the brand.” AdWeek: http://bit.ly/T4Ilqi
2. TWITTER HELPS FACEBOOK: As Twitter continues to sever ties with third-party companies, it has helped top competitor Facebook garner even more pageviews: 1,000 percent more. After cutting ties with LinkedIn, Twitter’s lack of content on the professional site shot more referrals to Facebook. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/R1S9hc
3. AD TESTING: E-commerce eyewear brand Warby Parker is pouring a tight budget into expanding its marketing reach on TV. The brand, which has kept ad money focused online and for events like pop-up shops, launches a new campaign today using addressable technology, which will allow it to aim ad time at its specific demographic, not every household. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/PVKwJy
Here’s a shot of Warby Parker’s promotion at South by Southwest earlier this year: http://www.bizbash.com/
4. HEARST HOUSE PARTY: To celebrate the debut of Citizen Hearst, a new PBS documentary about the history of the company, the top executives and editors in chief, past and present, attended a party catered by Marcus Samuelsson and touted by New York City Mayor Bloomberg and Ralph Lauren. WWD: http://wwd.us/PD5z1r
5. SPARKLY CELEBRATIONS: Carolee will celebrate its 40th anniversary at Bloomingdale's with designs from contest winners from the brand's partnership with the Fashion Institute of Technology, and with a retrospective of iconic jewels at Bloomingdale's. http://wwd.us/UszUTo
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: EVENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE ++
Webinar on Tuesday, September 25: “Teleprompters 101.” Learn what types of presentations warrant the use of prompters, how to pick the right type of prompter, and tips for guiding your speakers on how to use them. Click here for details.
* INTERNAL NEWS: PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OPINIONS *
Whom are you voting for in this year’s presidential election? We want to hear about which candidate you’re voting for and why. If you want to share your opinions and viewpoints with us—come on, speak up—contact us at email@example.com with “Election” in the subject line.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Emerald Lounge and Giant Step's next “Wicked New Music” listening party is September 25. Guests will listen to songs from the Danish indie rock group Efterklang, whose new album debuts that day. There will also be album giveaways and artist trivia.
Woodward at Ames and Maggie Inc. will host a fashion week kickoff party September 28. The night includes Maggie Inc. models in this season's fashions, cocktails, DJ Dec, and a final showing of the Fashion's Night Out “Before I Die” art installation.
The first Food Truck Throwdown, which pits local food trucks against a selection of New York's mobile eateries, takes place October 13 on Rose Kennedy Greenway. Boston's competing trucks are: Roxy's Grilled Cheese, Bon Me, the Cookie Monstah, Staff Meal, Mei Mei Street Kitchen, Lobsta Love, and Kickass Cupcakes.
Treats on Washington, a Brighton-based catering company, has new fall menu items including apple cider beignets with caramel dipping sauce, chicken potpie, and turtle cheesecake.
The Boston Festival of Indie Games has released its lineup of 36 games to be featured at the event September 22 at MIT’s EG&G Education Center and Compton Laboratories.
CHICAGO: Freeman was recently recognized as the winner of the 2012 Marketing Award from UFI, the global association of the exhibition industry. The company also recently launched the Freeman Technology Suite, an online hub with six interactive tools for trade show planners.
The Kendall College Charitable Trust's Gourmet Dining Event will be held at the college October 30. The evening includes dining stations with alumni chefs from restaurants such as RL and Pecking Order.
Christkindlmarket, a European-style holiday village, returns to Daley Plaza from November 21 to December 24. The event has vendors offering handmade ornaments and German food and drink, and will get visits from Santa Claus and the Christkind (a German Christmas fairy).
LAS VEGAS: Chairman and C.E.O. of Verizon Communications Lowell C. McAdam will deliver a keynote address at the 2013 International CES in January.
American Idol winner Taylor Hicks is extending his summer stint at Indigo at Bally’s for another year starting October 17. Hicks is committed to Caesars Entertainment and will be performing exclusively at other Caesars properties across the country. Las Vegas Sun: http://bit.ly/VdkORd
LOS ANGELES: “Emmys.com Backstage Live” will return for the 64th annual Primetime Emmy Awards on September 23.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts Los Angeles will honor Daniel Craig, Quentin Tarantino, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and Will Wright at the BAFTA Los Angeles Britannia Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on November 7. The award ceremony will be broadcast on BBC America and will air to the nation on November 11.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The Mayfair Hotel & Spa in the Coconut Grove village reopens September 21 after renovations to its guest rooms, spa, and 15,000-square-foot rooftop deck. Spartico, the hotel’s new restaurant, is scheduled to open in October. USA Today: http://usat.ly/RR6OIn
NEW YORK: The 59th annual Winter Antiques Show is January 25 through February 3 at the Park Avenue Armory. The show will feature a loan exhibition from the Preservation Society of Newport County and is sponsored by Chubb Personal Insurance.
Sentry Centers plans to open its third conference center in New York in December in the former Goldman Sachs building. It will be the largest conference center in downtown Manhattan, occupying 38,750 square feet and accommodating 275 people in 11 meeting rooms. http://bit.ly/OcNYAY
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.
ORLANDO: The Downtown Orlando Partnership hosts Taste of Downtown September 26 at the Disney Atrium of Amway Center. Sponsors include Chase and Stella Artois.
Bonefish Grill will open two locations this fall, one near SeaWorld and the other near Walt Disney World. Orlando Business Journal: http://bit.ly/R0BcDR
TORONTO: Toronto’s Just For Laughs 42 comedy program will feature 42 acts September 21-28 and will include stars Patton Oswalt and Louis CK, among many others.
WASHINGTON: Panorama Productions is opening a new nightclub, Echostage, this Saturday. http://bit.ly/Uj6t3q
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.