Posted September 21, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #354 — Friday, 09.21.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. EVENT CROWDFUNDING: Online ticketing startup Picatic has launched a new platform that allows venues, artists, and promoters to raise money to put on an event. People can donate funds on EventTilt, and once the break-even point of hosting an event is reached, the event is on. The program is like Kickstarter for events. Crowdfunders will typically receive discounted tickets or some sort of gift. TechCrunch: http://tcrn.ch/QoWtoh
2. HOTEL DEMAND: E-RFP channels like Cvent and StarCite are offering event and meeting planners a tool for venue leads, but hotels can't keep up the pace. 4Hoteliers: “Hyatt notes that the conversion rate is approximately 2 percent of meeting leads from the major e-channels as well as their own site, Hyatt.com. Hyatt also suggests that such converted leads comprise only 6 percent of Hyatt’s business but replying to them can take up hours of a salesperson’s day.” http://bit.ly/VkfAmE
3. PRIME MARKETING LOCATION: With iPhone 5 lines getting longer and longer, marketers are taking advantage of the nonmoving masses. Mashable: “Storm Tussey, a social media strategist with OtterBox, said the company also plans to hand out ‘survival packs’—backpacks containing fleece blanket, water bottles, ponchos, and a waterproof box for valuables. Campers will be able to tweet @OtterBox with requests for food delivery and other services valued under $25 with the hashtag #protectme.” http://on.mash.to/P5DJKx
4. SOCIAL SUMMIT: At this weekend's Social Good Summit there will be a major focus on the impact of mobile broadband. But it's not just attendees in New York who will snag all the information—there will be Good Social Summit hub events in Beijing and Nairobi, Kenya, in addition to meetups in 100 other countries. Reuters: http://reut.rs/PLABCV
5. EVENT LEADERS: The International Center for Exhibitor and Event Marketing has announced its 2013 board of directors. Exhibitor Online: http://bit.ly/TcHhk9
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: EVENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE ++
Webinar on Tuesday, September 25: “Teleprompters 101.” Learn what types of presentations warrant the use of prompters, how to pick the right type of prompter, and tips for guiding your speakers on how to use them. Click here for details.
* BEST IDEAS OF THE WEEK *
Here’s a look at 10 highlights from our event coverage this week, including the real-time motion projections exhibit at the Lowline's “Anti-Gala” in New York, Atelier Azza's jeweled cake in Chicago, a forestlike entrance wall at the New Yorkers for Children fall benefit. http://bit.ly/REpTDZ
* INTERNAL NEWS: PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OPINIONS *
Whom are you voting for in this year’s presidential election? We want to hear about which candidate you’re voting for and why. If you want to share your opinions and viewpoints with us—come on, speak up—contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Election” in the subject line.
* LOCAL NEWS *
COAST TO COAST: Men's Health will host its seventh annual Urbanathalon & Festival in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco starting October 13. http://sacb.ee/UjzMTy
BOSTON: Corn & Co, a popcorn specialty retailer, will open a location in the Burlington Mall this fall. For event favors, the company offers mason jars filled with popcorn, and the snack comes in 16 flavors, including cotton candy, Thai chili, and watermelon.
Burton will premiere its new snowboarding film, 13, with two screenings at the Greatest Bar on today. The event also includes a meet-and-greet with Burton team riders.
CHICAGO: The National Hellenic Museum hosted “Kouzina” on Thursday. The event offered Greek and Mediterranean food prepared by chefs, wine tastings, a Greek-style marketplace, and a special exhibit: “From the Kouzina: Essential Greek Ingredients.”
Primo Classico D'Italia, a benefit for the Primo Center for Women and Children, takes place September 30 at the Lake Forest estate of Diane and Quintin Primo. The evening includes luxury Italian cars on display, models sporting Italian fashion, a recreated Italian marketplace, and cuisine from local Italian restaurants including the Florentine. James Charles of HGTV'sHouse Hunters will lead the live auction.
LAS VEGAS: The 11th annual scholarship fund-raiser Mentoring & Educating Nevada’s Upcoming Students will be at the M Resort Spa & Casino on September 28.
Clear Channel Outdoor sponsored a free creative summit for local businesses yesterday in Cabaret Jazz at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts. Daily Finance: http://aol.it/P4fsEv
LOS ANGELES: French culinary group, Le Fooding, will bring its festival to Los Angeles in the spring. L.A. Times: http://lat.ms/Odo3cb
Neil Diamond will perform at the 26th Carousel of Hope gala on October 20 at the Beverly Hilton.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: In preparation for the October 22 presidential debate, Boca Raton will launch a media blitz next month. In addition, seven related events will take place leading up to the election, starting with a U.S. Air Force Rock Band concert this weekend. http://bit.ly/Um9FLB
NEW YORK: Microsoft will have a launch event for Windows 8 on October 25. In addition, officials from Microsoft announced that a Manhattan holiday pop-up store will open this fall. http://bit.ly/PFuEJ3
Keep a Child Alive announced Beyoncé and Carole King as the featured performers and Whoopi Goldberg as the M.C. for its ninth Annual Black Ball, which will take place November 1 at the Hammerstein Ballroom.
New York Oyster Week is September 22-29. Some of its special events will include Oystoberfest and the Harbor Oyster Cruise.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.
ORLANDO: The Epicurean, a 137-room boutique hotel, will open in Tampa's Hyde Park historic district in November 2013. The hotel will have a large culinary classroom, high-end bistro, wine shop, rooftop lounge, spa, and a retail and production bakery and pastry shop. The property is being developed in collaboration with Bern’s Steak House, and will be the first newly constructed property to join the Autograph Collection of Marriott International.
The National Society of Hispanic M.B.A.s will host its 23rd Annual Conference & Career Expo at the Orange County Convention Center from October 4 to 6. http://bit.ly/QGBAFu
TORONTO: Toronto’s Fall Home Show presented by Scotiabank will be at the Better Living Center Exhibition Place through September 23. http://www.blogto.com/events/
TechCrunch announced its Northern Meetups tour, starting in Toronto on November 5. http://tcrn.ch/RBRMa2
WASHINGTON: The D.C. VegFest on Saturday at Yards Park will have free samples, a beer and wine garden, a kids' play area, a dog treat station, and Adopt Force One, the Washington Humane Society’s mobile adoption center. http://wapo.st/PrKMOC
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.