Posted September 27, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. RETAIL ANNIVERSARY: To fete its 160th anniversary, Parisian department store Le Bon Marché hosted a cocktail party featuring a Lego reproduction of the store. Catherine Deneuve was the event's ambassador. WWD: http://wwd.us/Q3lgzp
2. FACEBOOK MEASUREMENT: VivaKi Nerve Center continues to be a big name when it comes to garnering Facebook insights, and yesterday they launched a new marketing tool called amplif.r, designed identify popular brands at the moment and buy Facebook ads in real time. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/NRmuzt
3. TWEET PAYMENT: A Kellogg's pop-up store in London's SoHo neighborhood is selling Special K Cracker Crisps, but fans of the brand don't need money to snag a snack—they just need to tweet using the hashtag #tweetshop. Sarah Case, Special K brand manager: “The value of positive endorsements on social-media sites is beyond compare, so we're excited to be the first company to literally use social currency instead of financial currency to launch this new product in our bespoke Special K shop.” Ad Age: http://bit.ly/QyrYit
4. TRAVEL SPENDING: The 25th annual Business Travel News Corporate Travel 100 ranking reported that the largest buyers of travel look different this year from last. Business Travel News: “Among 63 companies who spent at least $30 million in U.S.-booked air volume, most of which are listed in these pages, 2011 U.S. travel and entertainment spending increased by an average of 8.5 percent year over year, but those same buyers projected an average 3 percent decrease this year. Similarly, 2011 companywide air volume increased by an average of nearly 15 percent, but CT100 buyers projected a return to 2010 levels this year.” http://bit.ly/Ppt3q4
5. BRAND BANTER: AdWeek: “In one of the best brand-on-brand tweets ever, cinema chain AMC Theatres on Tuesday expressed its displeasure with Oreo after the Nabisco brand asked fans if they ever sneak cookies into a movie. ‘NOT COOL, COOKIE’ admonished @AMCTheatres, which sparked an impressive 200-plus retweets.” http://bit.ly/OUzAxe
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Check out our editor's collection of top-rated video chapters from our class library, and sharpen your event insight. Our Suggested Summer Learning compilation includes content from David Merrell, Jes Gordon, Mindy Weiss, Preston Bailey, Mary Wittenberg, Colja Dams, and others. 41 minutes | 10 clips | lots of ideas
++ ANOTHER WORD FROM A SPONSOR ++
The Atlantis inaugural corporate open house 2012 is the place to be in Toronto tonight, bringing out the event industry’s best and hosted by Mike Bullard.
* INTERNAL NEWS: ELECTION SURVEY *
We're asking readers to share their take on the 2012 presidential race for an upcoming story. Take our short and sweet five-question survey. Come on, speak up—it's all anonymous! http://bizba.sh/SkkXy9
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Jennifer Wheaton is now senior catering sales manager in charge of weddings for the Westin Copley Place.
CHICAGO: Haberdash men's boutique will host a launch party for its fall lookbook—which features local chefs and restaurateurs—at the Ivy Room on October 5. The event benefits Common Threads and will have tasting stations from restaurants such as Belly Q, Drumbar, and Table 52.
Frontier, a West Town venue that hosts private events, has a new fall menu. Items include kale-and-apple salad, bacon-wrapped elk chop, and braised black bear.
Chef Jose Garces will host a dinner at Mercat a La Planxa on October 17 to celebrate his new cookbook, The Latin Road Home. The dinner will include a five-course meal showcasing items from the book, including lobster in spicy tomato sauce and yucca bread with guava-chili butter.
Gina Stefani is the new event producer at the Chicago office of XA, the Experiential Agency.
LOS ANGELES: Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: This weekend Miami Beach will host a Taste of the Beach block party, where chef Robyn Almodovar will do live demonstrations. Proceeds of the event go to Miami Beach Arts Trust and the Miami Children's Hospital Foundation.
NEW YORK: The World Food Program USA is partnering with the Global Festival, a charity event to end world hunger and poverty, September 29 in Central Park.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.
ORLANDO: Glickman Productions is producing the grand opening of Nemours Children's Hospital on October 4.
WASHINGTON: The Mandarin Oriental has named Adriaan Radder its new general manager.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.