BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #366— Tuesday, 10.09.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. PROGRESSIVE TRACKS: In a bid to reach a new audience, Lincoln is building a robust marketing campaign around the launch of its 2013 MKZ car. The automotive brand is looking to lure what it's calling “cultural progressives” with hotel concierge-style test drives, dubbed “exclusive access tours,” in nine major markets. Lincoln will also host a musical event next month timed to the start of the Los Angeles Auto Show. Automotive News: http://bit.ly/QPTQie
2. MEATY SERIES: Ruth's Chris Steak House has an unusual ploy to draw more women into its restaurants across the country: a speaker series about female entrepreneurship in collaboration with Marie Claire. A recent event in Chicago offered a discussion with Save the Date founder Jennifer Gilbert as well as a networking session and raffle. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/R1hzsO
3. IMPROVED TRADE SHOW NUMBERS: The Global Gaming Expo, held earlier this month at the Sands Expo & Convention Center in Las Vegas, saw numbers increase, which brought the show back to pre-recession scale. TSNN: “Organized by the American Gaming Association and Reed Exhibitions, the event is back to its 2008 numbers, with 413 exhibitors taking more than 259,000 square feet of exhibit space—an increase of about four percent, compared with the 2011 event.” http://bit.ly/Q8RecQ
4. HOTEL ART: In a new promotion dubbed Sleep Art Project, the Ibis hotel chain will offer 40 guests from its London, Paris, and Berlin hotels to stay in rooms outfitted with sensor-equipped bed. The beds convert nocturnal sounds, movements, and temperature into an acrylic painting compliments of an in-room robot. Adweek: http://bit.ly/SXSEq6
5. AUTOMATIC CONTENT SHARING: Maz, a startup that helps magazines design iPad apps, has launched a new feature called Clippings. The new addition allows readers to punch any part of a page, select what image or text they want, and post it directly to Pinterest. While the feature also allows “clippings” to be sent to Facebook, Twitter, and email, Maz is the first developer to make this type of sharing available to Pinterest users. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/R311ki
6. BOOZE BRANDING: There might be new types of branding and events coming along for Jim Beam and Belvedere Vodka. Just a fews weeks after Bacardi announced a new agency, the other liquor brands are shopping around for new ideas, too. Adweek: http://bit.ly/VFSrxT
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Webinar: Tuesday, October 9 | Storytelling: The Magic of Disney | with Robert Gilbert, executive chef, Walt Disney World Resort. Learn the secrets of Disney’s approach to creating events with impact.
* EVENT PLANNER 3.0 *
Event Leadership Institute executive director Howard Givner—who is co-programming the Event Innovation Forum, a new conference at the BizBash IdeaFest October 24 in New York—wrote a guest post on the Event Manager Blog on the “Rise of Event Planner 3.0.” Here's how he defines this new prototype for the profession: “the ones who have shifted their perspectives from being reactive to being proactive. They’re not waiting for someone to give them instructions; instead they’re actively thinking of ways to re-design their events, generate more revenue, and create new events altogether.” http://bit.ly/Q7d0h4
That concept helped to drive the program for the Event Innovation Forum. Here's the lineup of speakers and topics: http://bizba.sh/SblYZy
* LOCAL NEWS *.
BOSTON: This holiday season, Davio's Northern Italian Steakhouse will host private, holiday-themed cooking classes. The venue can also host groups for a private “Feast of the Seven Fishes” dinner with wine pairings.
CHICAGO: Lemon Tree Grocer in Downers Grove is now carrying a line of vegan snacks, salads, entrees, and desserts from Karyn's. On October 21, the grocer will host a “Meat vs. Beet” event to promote the line. During the event, holistic healer Karyn Calabrese (who owns Karyn's) and Lemon Tree chef Tim Canning will offer side-by-side snacks that are meatless or made with meat. Proceeds benefit several local charities, including Chicago Canine Rescue.
Randolph Street Market will host Modern Vintage Chicago October 20 and 21. Sally Schwartz and Redgi Woods of ReFINDefined will host a new fashion show, Vintage Apres Noir, on October 20.
A Leg to Stand On will host its inaugural Chicago fund-raiser, Hedge Fund Rocktoberfest, at City Winery on October 25.
LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas Review-Journal has a recap of the Great Gatsby Gala at the LVH, which benefited the Nevada Children's Center: http://bit.ly/R3vVwb
RGJ.com: “Democratic former President Bill Clinton will discuss the economy and the choice facing Nevadans in the presidential election when he visits Las Vegas on Tuesday afternoon.” http://on.rgj.com/SJqMeL
Las Vegas Review-Journal: “The World Floor Covering Association said Friday that it has formed a partnership with the World Market Center to bring two events to Las Vegas at the same time in 2013 and 2014. Surfaces, the flooring industry's largest trade show, is coming to Mandalay Bay January 28-31, coinciding with the Las Vegas Market home furnishings showcase at World Market Center.” http://bit.ly/SRC8I3
LOS ANGELES: L.A. Times: “Processions of the Rock and the space shuttle through the streets of L.A. recall the victory parades of ancient Rome. They redefine the city's civic identity.” http://lat.ms/R0Uj1n
Obama's L.A. trip was expected to add at least $5 million to the president's campaign. L.A. Times: http://lat.ms/RnELCm
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The InterContinental Miami Hotel is scheduled to open before the end of the month, following $30 million of renovations. Miami Herald: http://bit.ly/QVLoP1
NEW YORK: Presented by the Film Society of Lincoln Center, the 50th New York Film Festival will come to a close on October 14.
Mohegan Sun's “Sweet (and Not So Sweet) 16th Anniversary Celebration” takes place October 12-14. The weekend will include appearances from reality TV stars such as Scott Disick from Keeping Up With the Kardashians and Melissa Gorga of The Real Housewives of New Jersey; there will also be cash prizes and giveaways.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Marlow's Tavern at Pointe Orlando opens today. The restaurant has the capacity for 215 guests with indoor seating and an all-weather patio and is available for buyouts.
TORONTO: Toronto will host the largest ever Parapan Am Games in 2015. Toronto Sun: http://bit.ly/R2wnL7
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Posted October 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #366— Tuesday, 10.09.12