BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #369— Friday, 10.12.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. TOP MODERATOR: Last night's vice president debate seemed to have a star that was neither Vice President Joe Biden nor Republican candidate Paul Ryan, but instead moderator Martha Raddatz. Unlike Jim Lehrer, moderator of the first presidential debate, Raddatz kept the candidates talking, on time, and pressed for details. CNN: http://bit.ly/QoR1Cx
2. CONFERENCE GROWTH: The annual meeting for the Association of National Advertisers, held in Orlando this week, saw a spike in attendance from last year with attendees jumping from 1,700 to 2,050. The New York Times: “It is the presence of and participation by such a large group of marketers that stimulates interest in attending the conference among the advertising and media executives. Another reason that attendance has been increasing is the decision by the association to recruit speakers from among its members who oversee large ad budgets for blue-chip companies.” http://nyti.ms/RcoTC1
3. TUMBLR CHARITY: To honor National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and build up its Tumblr activity, Ralph Lauren launched a campaign that donates money to its Pink Pony Fund for every like and reblog its Tumblr posts receive. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/TbNAyl
4. CELEBRATING THE BREAK-UP: New York magazine's The Cut blog: “With divorce rates approaching 50 percent, divorce parties have gone mass market...the same party suppliers that helped turn bachelorette parties into a debauched female rite of passage have turned their attention to the moment when a married woman returns to single life.” Examples of the festive touches: voodoo dolls, candy wrappers, and charred wedding dresses. http://bit.ly/TvAkKd
5. MODERN MOVES: The Tribeca Film Institute has tapped Nicolas Apps, previously director of external affairs at the Museum of Modern Art, to be its new deputy executive director starting on Monday. He'll lead corporate sponsor initiatives and marketing communications. Press release: http://bit.ly/SUhYTE
6. MUSIC TRACKS: Ad Age has a video of an installation created by Hill Holiday that let commuters at a Boston subway make music: http://bit.ly/TCBfIJ
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* TWEETED *
Business consultant @SeanLow: Best guest speaker gift ever! Yes, this is a chocolate bust of my head. Thank you again @Fairmont_PAL @isescalgary. pic.twitter.com/Onb7wonS
* BEST IDEAS OF THE WEEK *
Here’s a look at 10 steal-worthy ideas we spotted this week, including the Team Impact Gala's college-style pennants in Boston, a detailed flower wall at the Los Angeles Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic, Target's Falling For You concession-style snack bar in New York, Guinness and sparkling wine cocktails at the Washington Ballet's Dracula Soiree, and the luxurious Bon Appétit tent at the Chicago Gourmet food festival. http://bizba.sh/QhaUfE
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Atrium School's 30th anniversary event is October 20. LoLo Event Design is planning the event.
The Renaissance Boston Waterfont Hotel is offering holiday-themed packages—meant to ease the stress of the season—from November 1 to December 30. In-room offerings include aromatherapy and face masks, movie viewings, and two cocktails called the “In-Law Equalizers.”
CHICAGO: Patricia Hart is the new development coordinator at HighSight. The nonprofit organization hosts the annual Eve of the Eve gala, which will take place at Union Station on December 30.
LAS VEGAS: Trade Show News Network: “Two of Las Vegas’ megashows, SEMA Show and Magic Marketplace, both will stay in Las Vegas into the near future, with extensions of their leases at the Las Vegas Convention Center for five years and three years, respectively.” http://bit.ly/QiiqG8
Las Vegas Sun: “Vice President Joe Biden will travel to Nevada for an overnight trip next week to rally supporters in Reno and Las Vegas, a campaign spokesperson confirmed.” http://bit.ly/R8NZBA
Las Vegas Review-Journal: “The D Las Vegas is not a Detroit-themed hotel-casino, even inside the faux Las Vegas world of Paris, ancient Rome, and New York. The renovated downtown resort has been given elements of the Motor City, though, such as an outlet of American Coney Island, a famous Detroit restaurant that is opening its first branch outside of Michigan at The D.” http://bit.ly/QjmQwk
LOS ANGELES: The annual Good Food Festival & Conference returns to Los Angeles November 2-4, celebrating farmers and focusing on regional and national issues relevant to building local and sustainable food systems and educating people.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
NEW YORK: As part of a “world tour,” Samsung will introduce the Galaxy Note II in New York at a press event scheduled for October 24. SlashGear: http://bit.ly/QiMGk2
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Grande Lakes Orlando opens its new outdoor event space tonight with a benefit dinner for Slow Food Orlando. Whisper Creek Farm combines a working fruit and vegetable garden with an event lawn that accommodates 250 people.
WASHINGTON: Washington Performing Arts will hold its first annual Fall Arts Fair on October 21 at the Town Hall Educational Arts Recreation Campus. The fair will feature 22 performances by local professionals in addition to face painting, a musical instrument petting zoo, and a raffle for free Washington Performing Arts Society concert tickets.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #369— Friday, 10.12.12