BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #371— Monday, 10.16.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. GOLDEN GLOBE HOSTS: The Hollywood Foreign Press Association and NBC announced that Amy Poehler and Tina Fey will host the January 13 Golden Globes. The Washington Post: http://wapo.st/PyIYHe
2. MARKETING HEIGHTS: Felix Baumgartner's record-breaking, Red Bull-sponsored free fall was the subject of much chatter yesterday and was yet another example of the energy drink maker's risky but successful promotional efforts. With more than 8 million live views on YouTube, the stunt could prove lucrative in the long run. Chicago Tribune: “Whether the jump's promotional buzz will translate into Red Bull sales is also a leap of faith, according to some marketing experts. But [Ben Sturner, founder and CEO of marketing firm, Leverage Agency] believes the transcendent appeal of the event will expand the energy drink market beyond its core constituency. 'At the end of the day, I think it's going to impact sales in a big way,' Sturner said. 'People want to taste that type of experience, in a way.' http://trib.in/V3IuLE [registration required]
3. REDDIT ON SITE: The social news site has embarked on a bus tour dubbed Internet 2012 Bus Tour, but co-founder Alexis Ohanian forgot to get WiFi for the bus trip. AdWeek reports from the trip with the “Mayor of the Internet.” AdWeek: http://bit.ly/Rra5zB
4. GALA GAMES: Post-season baseball seems to be putting a damper on some fund-raisers in Washington, causing some events to see decreased attendance numbers. But the recent Meridian Ball put the word out that there would be a TV at the gala for guests to watch the Nationals play. The Washington Post: http://wapo.st/PzxzH2
5. TWITTER TIPS: At the American Magazine Conference in San Francisco yesterday, Twitter vice president of global brand strategy, Joel Lunenfeld, chatted with publishers and advertisers about how to make more effective use of the 140-character limit on the social platform. AdWeek: “The possibility of brands literally finding a ‘voice’ through their Twitter accounts has totally changed the way that people view their favorite companies, said Lunenfeld....One of the biggest takeaways for magazine publishers was that a Twitter follower should be viewed as a subscriber; Lunenfeld stressed that if consumers follow a magazine brand on Twitter, they want to hear what that magazine is saying.” http://bit.ly/S0xjz6
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
E.L.I. Masters Program: Getting Your Event Business to the Next Level | Interactive workshop for business owners and managers | Boston 10/14; NY 10/23; Chicago 11/14.
* LOCAL NEWS *
AUSTIN: South by Southwest Interactive, the technology-focused conference of the SXSW festival, announced the lineup of sessions for 2013. http://bit.ly/WpIrYf
BOSTON: The Boston Vegetarian Society’s 17th Annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival will take place October 27-28.
CHICAGO: The Million Dollar Quartet—which features the music of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and other 1950s icons—will continue performances at Chicago's Apollo Theater through April 28, 2013. A new block of tickets is on sale.
Paul Stuart will host a cocktail party to debut his new Phineas Cole collection on Thursday at its Oak Street store. The event will offer Maker's Mark cocktails, Goose Island beer, and hors d'oeuvres from Spiaggia.
LAS VEGAS: Back Bar U.S.A. has joined forces with Dom Pérignon and selected Caesars Palace as the backdrop for the “Dom Pérignon Vintage Package” for weddings on the popular 12.12.12 date.
Vice President Joe Biden will visit the Culinary Academy of Las Vegas for a campaign rally today with a limited number of free tickets available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis. Las Vegas Sun: http://bit.ly/Q63KbV
LOS ANGELES: L.A. Times: “For the second consecutive year, [Kobe] Bryant is hosting the United Way of Greater Los Angeles' HomeWalk, which is set to take place November 19, beginning at Exposition Park and heading into downtown Los Angeles.” http://lat.ms/UZreXH
Black Label Events produced Outfest's Legacy Awards on October 13 at the Orpheum Theatre downtown.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The Association for Financial Professionals annual conference is taking place at the Miami Beach Convention Center through tomorrow.
NEW YORK: On October 22, Gabrielle’s Angel Foundation will host the 2012 Angel Ball at Cipriani Wall Street.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay just completed a $16 million renovation project that included updates to its 442 guest rooms and remodeling of a terrace adjacent to the hotel's restaurant on the 14th floor.
Glen Winsor has been appointed hotel manager of Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek.
Anthony Patrone was named vice president of marketing and player development for Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Tampa.
TORONTO: Designer Adrian We will show off his latest collection at World MasterCard Fashion Week. Known for attention-grabbing fashion shows that have included masked models, Wu will present his video game-inspired spring/summer 2013 collection inside the tents at David Pecaut Square on October 23.
WASHINGTON: The fourth annual Urban Chic’s “Once Upon A Runway” fashion show benefit will take place October 25.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.