BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #372— Wednesday, 10.17.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. EVENT PROS PICK OBAMA: As the news media and voters continue to analyze the presidential candidates' performances in the debates and a sea of polls, the event industry has spoken: In a BizBash poll, 54.5 percent of event professionals said they will vote to re-elect President Obama, 36.4 percent support Romney, and 9.1 percent are undecided. Here's our full report: http://bizba.sh/T0dHaS
2. BEYONCE BOWL: The N.F.L. announced yesterday that Beyoncé will be the Super Bowl halftime performer for next year's February 3 game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. This year's performance by Madonna “was seen by 114 million people, a higher average than the game itself, which was seen by an estimated 111.3 million people, according to the Nielsen.” Associated Press: http://bit.ly/TtrYgZ
3. COMIC CON MARKETERS: This year's New York Comic Con drew 1,200 attendees and, as brands like Mattel, Marvel Entertainment, Nintendo, and General Motors sought to build loyalty with these early technology adopters and trendsetters, was estimated to have generated $15 million in on-floor sales. The Wall Street Journal: ”'The demographic that goes to New York Comic Con, [mostly] males 18 to 34, they are very eager and have a good amount of buying power,' said MKM Partners analyst Eric Handler, speaking with toy and videogame companies in mind.” http://on.wsj.com/T6Neii
4. FASHION WEEK STAGES: Wallpaper has a slide show of the most interesting backdrops used for the recent Fashion Week shows in Paris, London, and Milan, including Chanel's enormous turbines and Kenzo's giant digital screen. http://bit.ly/P8lrNt
5. NEW EVITE LINE: This week the online invitation provider launched Evite Postmark, a premium digital invitation, announcement, and stationery line. Marc Friedland is the line's chief style director. http://bit.ly/rzgDos
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Tatte Bakery & Cafe, a popular spot known for treats such as fruit and nut tarts, may open a third location after the holidays.
CHICAGO: Hyatt Hotels announced a new real-time tracking system, known as Group Bill, that allows planners to keep tabs on their meeting's daily costs.
The Goddess and Grocer can deliver Thanksgiving Dinner-themed meals to local offices and event spaces. Suited for groups of 12, the festive, seven-course meal includes a roasted whole turkey with house-made gravy, whipped sweet potatoes, and pecan and pumpkin pies.
LAS VEGAS: Meetings Net: “Don’t tell anyone in the meetings and events industry that that the U.S. economy is in a funk, or at least those who flocked to IMEX America October 9-11 in Las Vegas. The second annual show (a sister of the highly successful IMEX held in Frankfurt, Germany, every May) drew record numbers of buyers and sellers to Halls C and D of the Sands Expo Center, which were bursting at the seams.” http://bit.ly/T854RV
The second annual Asian Food Festival will take to Silverton Casino Hotel on October 20-21 with an expected attendance of more than 30,000 people.
LOS ANGELES: In tribute to the new Elvis Presley figure at Madame Tussauds, the museum will host an eating contest of fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, created by RollingStone L.A.
This weekend's AIDS Walk raised close to $3 million. West Hollywood Patch: http://bit.ly/TnA7nl
The Los Angeles Auto Show announced Terri Toennies as its new general manager. Press release: http://sacb.ee/OG8OHW
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Cocktail-focused event Luckyrice, which has hit foodie locations like New York and San Francisco, is coming to Miami on November 30. Held at Soho Beach House, the event will be hosted by Top Chef Masters' Susur Lee and Douglas Rodriguez.
NEW YORK: The Rainbow Room, which shuttered in 2009, has officially been given landmark status by the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission. New York Observer: http://bit.ly/R2QiJz
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Peabody Orlando hired Karen Harvey as a national sales manager focused on specialty and diversity markets.
TORONTO: Fashion Magazine will host a 35th anniversary celebration tonight at the Fermenting Cellar in the Distillery. Sponsors include Skyy Vodka, L'Oreal, and Guess.
WASHINGTON: The fourth annual Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Expo will return to the Washington Convention Center October 20. The event will include fashion shows, makeovers, and an appearance by America's Next Top Model's J. Alexander.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Posted October 17, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #372— Wednesday, 10.17.12