Posted October 22, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #375— Monday, 10.22.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. BLACKBERRY DEVELOPMENT: Research in Motion is looking to build buzz—and user apps—for its forthcoming BlackBerry 10 software with a series of developer events. Starting tomorrow in Toronto, the BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour will hit 11 cities with day-long seminars and workshops that give organizations the opportunity to build behind-the-firewall mobile applications. TechCrunch: http://tcrn.ch/RP4FPj
2. CHEFS IN THE FIELD: As the farm-to-table movement continues, a new trend has chefs starting their own farms—some to nab cheaper produce without competing with other restaurants for ingredients, and others to learn more about the food. The Wall Street Journal: http://on.wsj.com/TAFoYL
3. ANNIVERSARY INVITES: While NY1 will fete its 20th anniversary staff party this week at New York's Gotham Hall, past channel employees are upset they're not invited to the big bash thrown by Time Warner Cable. New York Post: http://bit.ly/Rovydl
4. PINNING POWER: A survey conducted by BizRate Insights shows 70 percent of Pinterest's 10 million users use it for shopping inspiration. The platform also proves to be better than Facebook at engaging consumers with brands, as 66 percent of users follow and repin from brands and retailers. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/Tolkys
5. CHECK-IN CAMPAIGN: The McCann Worldgroup Helsinki is behind a campaign for the AIDS Council that plays at the ever-popular need to check in on Foursquare, even when it comes to sex. AdWeek: “The spot aimed at men draws you in with some seductive making out, and then, just as her panties are about to come off, a Google Maps pop-up appears that says, 'Ryan Smith and 19 others were here.'” http://bit.ly/Tyk1qG
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
E.L.I. Masters Program: Getting Your Event Business to the Next Level | Interactive workshop for business owners and managers | NY 10/23; Chicago 11/14.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Colour Bloc will celebrate its launch on October 24 at Stella Restaurant.
Executive chef Brian Poe of Poe's Kitchen at the Rattlesnake will unveil a new fall cocktail menu on Wednesday that will include drinks like the quinoa martini and Thai mojito.
CHICAGO: SmallBar Division will celebrate Halloween with a tap event on October 31. The venue will serve pumpkin beers on draft, including Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela.
Group tickets are available for the March 5 to June 2 performances of The Book of Mormon at the Bank of America Theater.
LAS VEGAS: United Way of Southern Nevada will host its annual Community in Blue Campaign Celebration at the World Market Center on October 24.
LOS ANGELES: Chet Mehta left Sunshine Sachs to start his own boutique lifestyle, entertainment, and event marketing and publicity firm, called PR Dept. Mehta's past clients have included Telluride Film Festival, J Brand, Macy’s, Elle, and InStyle. Prior to Sunshine Sachs, Mehta was director of entertainment and brand strategies at ID PR.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: With 13.4 million overnight visitors, the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau is expanding its sales, public relations, and marketing efforts to support growth. The expansion includes new forthcoming attractions Miami Art Museum, Miami Science museum, and a $7 billion investment in the Miami International Airport.
NEW YORK: The Center for Communication's Annual Award Luncheon will be held at the Pierre Hotel today. Daniel L. Doctoroff, C.E.O. and president of Bloomberg, will be honored.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: SeaWorld Orlando's Christmas Celebration will take place select dates November 17 through December 31. The event includes a holiday theme Shamu show, the Polar Express Experience based on the movie of the same name, an ice skating show, carolers, and hundreds of illuminated trees.
TORONTO: The “Designing 007 - Fifty Years of Bond Style” exhibition at TIFF Bell Lightbox will open on October 25 with many Bond-inspired events, including a passport-guided tour of the venue. http://tiff.net/bondopening
WASHINGTON: Meet the District's first Certified Cicerones (that's like a sommelier for beer). Washington City Paper: http://bit.ly/qF74RB
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.