BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #376— Tuesday, 10.23.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. MARATHON SPONSORSHIP: Asics America is planning a big activation for its sponsorship of the Road Runners' New York City Marathon. The shoe brand will have several installations for the runners as well as those not participating, including a Wall of Marathoners with the names of the 45,000 runners and an interactive Sound Room in a nearby subway station. The New York Times: “The electro-funk duo Chromeo will help promote the Sound Room by creating a soundtrack that uses ambient New York City sounds, sounds that are common to running, and the heartbeat of a runner, Ryan Hall, who is an Asics endorser." http://nyti.ms/Rse4Na
2. SIBLING PLANNER: The Daily Mail has an excerpt from the event planning sister of the Duchess of Cambridge, Pippa Middleton: “The book is designed to be a comprehensive guide to home entertaining, based on my experience in my family’s party business Party Pieces, and work for London-based events company Table Talk. It is a useful and practical journey into British-themed occasions, and I hope it offers welcome inspiration and ideas, most of which needn’t leave you alarmingly out of pocket.” Included are ideas for Halloween and a bonfire night. http://bit.ly/PNsevU
3. DEBATE HASHTAGS: Last night's Boca Raton debate was the least-tweeted debate of the presidential season with only six million tweets compared to the 10 million of the first debate. But the last debate showed the importance of jumping on Twitter trends for hashtag usage. Although the Twitter-sponsored hashtag #debates failed to become a U.S. trend, the Obama campaign bought the #horsesandbayonets hashtag after it scored third place on the U.S. trending list. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/TDDW7z
According to a press release, Atlas Party Rentals provided almost $100,000 worth of chairs, tables, and linens for last night's presidential debate and all pre-debate activities and spaces such as viewing rooms at Lynn University.
4. BOND BRANDING: Coke Zero launched an ad tied to the forthcoming 007 installment, Skyfall, in which it prompts commuters at a train station to compete in a James Bond-like obstacle course to win tickets to the movie. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/OWFFbz
5. VIEWER'S DIGEST: Similar to the debates, many events produce very sharable, potentially viral video clips, and now Cliptamatic allows users to share such clips in real time. The app enables users to search video clips from live events to share with friends who can “like” or comment on the video spot. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/TCYehB
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
E.L.I. Masters Program: Getting Your Event Business to the Next Level | Interactive workshop for business owners and managers | NY 10/23; Chicago 11/14.
* INDUSTRY NEWS *
The Event Planners Association will be at the New York and Chicago BizBash IdeaFest to discuss membership.
* BLOGGED *
Preston Bailey poses the question if preferred vendor lists are helpful or too exclusionary. http://bit.ly/T72khk
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Legal Sea Foods is partnering with Catena Zapata’s export director Pablo Piccolo to host a wine dinner at the Park Square location on November 14.
Revere Hotel Boston Common is offering a special Red, White & You presidential package for those who have the same name as a president from Massachusetts from November 4-7.
CHICAGO: Boka's Imperial Dinner will take place November 18 and offer a menu from the collaborative work of chefs Carl Shelton, Homaro Cantu, Bill Kim, Michael Sheerin, Matthias Merges, Anthony Martin, and Sarah Jordan.
Restaurant Vermilion is partnering with Olive Oil from Spain for “A Spanish A-Fare” on November 7 that will feature unique dishes using olive oil.
LAS VEGAS: Surrender Nightclub will add 5,000 square feet of additional space this winter. The nightclub from Encore Las Vegas will add a dome over the pool, doubling the space. http://bit.ly/TsLv7d
LOS ANGELES: The International Women’s Media Foundation’s Courage in Journalism Awards will take to the Beverly Hills Hotel on October 29.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: On November 17 the Wildlife Foundation of Florida and “Alligator Ron” Bergeron will host the Florida BlueGreen fund-raising event, the Florida Cracker-Style Cowboy Gala.
NEW YORK: Formula One has postponed the inaugural Grand Prix of America in New Jersey until 2014. ESPN: http://es.pn/Pf7mgZ
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam will take place at the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium, which can accommodate more than 60,000 people.
TORONTO: The new documentary Versailles ’73: American Runway Revolution will be screened at Toronto Fashion Week.
WASHINGTON: The Knock Out Abuse Against Women annual gala is scheduled for November 1 and will feature 750 of Washington, D.C.’s successful women including congress members and philanthropists.
Benefitting the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship, Microsoft and Bloomingdale’s will host the third annual Geek 2 Chic: D.C. on October 24.
The second annual Chris4Life Blue Hope Bash will take place at the Park Hyatt on October 25.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.