The BizBash IdeaFest in New York is today at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Online registration is closed, but you can register on site: http://bit.ly/UByvvN. We'll be tweeting insights and pics from the show; follow @BizBash_News to get the latest updates.BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #377 — Wednesday, 10.23.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. ELECTION HUB: Starting October 30 the NBC News headquarters at New York's Rockefeller Center will turn into Democracy Plaza. In partnership with Windows 8, the center will include interactive exhibits such as replicas of the Oval Office where visitors can take photos, and a news desk station where passersby can record a mock broadcast. The ice skating rink will house a map of the U.S. that will turn either red or blue as poll results come in on election night. NBC: http://bit.ly/TQH4xl
2. SETTING THE STAGE: The Business Development Institute will host the first U.S. Podium Rock—a theater-format rock show about challenging the way companies think about employee culture and their brands—on October 25 at the N.Y.I.T. Auditorium on Broadway. The show has been seen by 10,000 businesses in Australia. Press release: http://sacb.ee/PMH1H8
3. AWARD EVOLUTION: The James Beard Foundation announced additions and changes to award categories starting with the 2013 season. E-books will now be included in the same category as print cookbooks, the restaurant design category will now be broken into sub-categories of design and character, and, lastly, restaurants will be broken down by size: fewer than 75 seats or more than 76 seats. James Beard Foundation:http://bit.ly/SpLKvb
4. TWEET CURRENCY: Topshop is launching a Twitter-based competition during October 27-31 called Trick or Tweet. In some flagship stores customers will be able to “purchase” makeup in exchange for their currency of tweets about the clothing brand. Additionally, customers will compete for gift cards by tweeting photos of their halloween style. WWD:http://wwd.us/TeotPe
5. ELECTRIC DANCE FLOOR: A company called Sustainable Dance Club manufactures floor tiles that create electricity on the dance floor. The tiles compress slightly when used, which powers generators in each tile to produce electricity. The tiles are available for purchase or rental. Mashable:http://on.mash.to/PprzB2
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The 128th annual Modern Language Association convention will be held in Boston for the first time since 1952. The January 3-6, 2013, event will have a theme of Avenues of Access and will be held at John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Center and the Sheraton Boston. The convention is expected to draw 8,500 participants.
CHICAGO: To celebrate election season, the InterContinental Chicago O'Hare in Rosemont will host a contest to win a stay in the hotel's presidential suite on inauguration day. To win the prize contestants must post on the hotel's Facebook page about which presidential candidate they think will win along with the number of electoral college votes that candidate will receive. http://on.fb.me/XQsme5
LAS VEGAS: Katy Perry will perform for an Obama campaign event in Las Vegas today. She also performed for a previous campaign event in Los Angeles. http://bit.ly/POye7A
LOS ANGELES: The Make-up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild will celebrate its 75th anniversary at the Hollywood Museum on November 3.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: In preparation for Art Basel, Hotel Urbano at Brickell is launching a promotion for discounted rates through Facebook.
NEW YORK: The Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation will host its 10th annual gala on November 8 at Pier Sixty at Chelsea Piers. Katie Couric will serve as M.C. of the event , and Michael Bolton will perform.
The FashionForward: Commerce conference will be on October 25 at the Crosby Street Hotel with event speakers including Aslaug Magnusdottir, C.E.O. of Moda Operandi, and Mallory Andrews, senior vice president of marketing and PR at Bergdorf Goodman.Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Fall Fiesta in the Park is scheduled for November 3 at Lake Eola. The event will include more than 300 artisans and craftspeople, live entertainment, and kids activities.
WASHINGTON: Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is offering an Inauguration 2013 buyout package for accommodations for 90 guests on January 21, 2013.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.