Posted October 26, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #379 — Friday, 10.26.12++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. THE PERFECT STORM?: Hurricane Sandy is now a Category 2 storm and is expected to become a major weather event when it hits the East Coast early next week, earning it the nickname “frankenstorm.” It is likely to disrupt events. “The storm is approaching in the middle of preparations for next month’s presidential election and could disrupt plans for early voting in some areas, with unpredictable results." The New York Times:http://nyti.ms/Rk2MwA
2. TOP PLANNERS: The Daily Meal searched high and low to scout the best planners across the country. Here’s its list (heavy with people who do weddings and social events) of “50 States, 50 Event Planners”: http://bit.ly/QShS93
3. MUSIC ON DEMAND: The W New York in Times Square will have pop group Cherub perform throughout the hotel as a “human jukebox” November 8-9. The music group will do wake-up calls, and guests can requests songs by tweeting at @Cherublamusica and @WHotelsNYC and using the hashtag #WHumanJukeBox.
4. NY BOOZE SUMMIT: Governor Andrew Cuomo held an alcohol summit earlier this week to highlight the industry growth in New York. The New York State Liquor Authority reports that the number of farm distilleries has increased 211 percent, whereas microbreweries increased 74 percent, and wineries increased 17 percent. The event included a tasting room with offerings from state-wide wineries and breweries, and guests took home a corkscrew featuring the governor's name. The New York Times:http://nyti.ms/UEVbeP
5. AD AWARDS: The winners of the 2012 Jay Chiat Awards for Strategic Excellence were announced yesterday at the Strategy Festival in New York. Adweek: http://bit.ly/Y12hJe
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* BEST IDEAS OF THE WEEK*
Here's a look at 10 steal-worthy ideas we spotted this week, including mobile oyster shuckers at The Knot's industry gala in New York, vintage photo projections at Chicago's Columbian Ball, taxidermy displays at the 111th anniversary gala for Bergdorf Goodman, a Reese's Pieces trail to debut the new E.T. wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hollywood, and a live red carpet at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade gala. bizba.sh/WNWYPh
* BLOGGED *
360 Design Events creative director Matthew David Hopkins, the winner of BizBash’s New York Readers' Choice award for Event Designer of the Year, has a few tips for making an event interactive. Huffington Post:http://huff.to/U0gwtF
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: On November 8, Ted Baker London will host a shopping event with TV Diner's Jenny Johnson. The event will offer discounts on the autumn/winter line, treats from Hotel Chocolat, and custom Bombay Sapphire cocktails from Ki Bar.
CHICAGO: The InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile has opened a kosher kitchen to be used for banquets. Danzinger Catering's menu includes chicken picatta, rack of lamb, and flourless chocolate cake; rabbinical supervision can also be arranged.
Vital Bridges will host the Vital Nights Fall Soiree at Potter's Lounge November 8. Benefitting Vital Bridges Center on Chronic Care, the event will include seasonal Svedka Vodka cocktails, raffle prizes, and hors d'oeuvres.
Association Forum of Chicagoland's Holiday Showcase is December 13.
The third “Wish Upon a Wedding Blissful Wishes” ball is November 5 at the Marriott on Michigan Avenue.
LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas Weekly talks to Ashley Capps, whose Tennessee-based AC Entertainment co-produced the now-defunct Vegas Halloween festival known as “Vegoose” with Superfly Events Group: http://bit.ly/RI94UK
Chef Saul Ortiz has created new menu items available from October 15 through December 31 to welcome the fall season at Tacos and Tequila inside Luxor Hotel and Casino.
LOS ANGELES: At the welcome-back-to-the-city press conference Wednesday for the upcoming Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita Park, the mayor standing with Breeders' Cup officials was not Arcadia Mayor Bob Harbicht; it was Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Daily News: “Breeders' Cup officials announced this summer that Arcadia's historic race track would host not only this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships on November 2 and 3 but next year's coveted competition as well. ... Still, it seems the 2012 Breeders' Cup is being pitched as a Los Angeles city event, Harbicht said." http://bit.ly/Y1iJcw
Suzanne Goin and Caroline Styne, owners of Tavern in Brentwood, announced Gavin Mills as the new chef de cuisine of the restaurant, effective November 13.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Design Miami named Acconci Studio the designer of the year. The Brooklyn-based designer's work will be on display at the Miami Design District.
NEW YORK: Chinatown's newest and biggest hotel, the 18-story Wyndham Garden hotel, is set to open November 1.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Shores Resort and Spa in Daytona Beach Shores is offering a new meeting package that includes a two-hour group paddleboarding lesson.
The Orlando Science Center will host the Neanderthal Ball November 3. Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children is the presenting sponsor.
TORONTO: Edulis snagged the number-one spot in Air Canada's enRoutemagazine's list of Best New Restaurants 2012. http://bit.ly/Tc6AMy
The Canadian Cardiovascular Congress will be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre from October 27-31.
WASHINGTON: Bethesda-based ITN International has promoted Alan Houck, Bob James, Travis Laursen, and Spencer Segura to vice president. The company provides cloud-based event management apps.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.