BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #380 — Monday, 10.29.12++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: [email protected]
* INCOMING *
1. SANDY'S TOLL: Hurricane Sandy is heading toward the northeastern U.S., triggering evacuation orders for hundreds of thousands of residents, the cancellation of nearly 8,000 airline flights, and the mass closure of public transit systems. The Wall Street Journal: “Hurricane Sandy has already begun disrupting business, with many companies planning to close Monday. Google Inc. canceled a major event in Manhattan at which it was expected to promote a new mobile phone and a rumored redesign of its Nexus tablet.”
U.S. stock and options markets are closed today in “the first unscheduled, market-wide shutdown since September 2001." http://on.wsj.com/Toa5Ee
More cancellations: Among the many, many events and meetings getting canceled are The Wall Street Journal's “D: Dive Into Mobile” conference, scheduled for today and Tuesday in New York; and two Facebook events planned in Manhattan. All Things Digital: http://allthingsd.com/20121028/facebook-gift-event-also-gets-blown-out-of-nyc-by-hurricane-sandy/
More on travel: “With Hurricane Sandy looming, airlines suspended operations at airports from Washington up to Boston. Carriers canceled 1,270 flights scheduled for Sunday, according to FlightAware.com, a flight-tracking website. As of Sunday night, airlines also canceled 5,900 flights scheduled for Monday and almost 800 flights Tuesday. FlightAware said it expects airlines to cancel more flights scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Many travelers will have to wait until Wednesday to fly.” Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204789304578085134103289070.html
The Hurricane has forced President Obama and Mitt Romney to cancel campaign events the week before the election. Despite reducing campaign appearances and suspending fund-raising emails to to-be affected states, both parties are concerned with access to polls come November 6. CNN: http://bit.ly/S6DWxW
What about you? How is the storm affecting your events? Tell us:[email protected].
2. PACKED POLLS: Voters in Washington, D.C., and Maryland crowded early voting stations over the weekend after President Obama urged people to cast votes before hurricane Sandy hit. But the polling stations didn't expect such a large turnout and were unprepared with not enough polls. At some centers, voters waited more than two hours to cast their ballot on one of the six stations. The Washington Post: http://wapo.st/RbcLRx
3. UBER FLIGHT: The co-founder of Uber, Garrett Camp, is backing a startup called BlackJet, which is like Uber but for private jets. The company will partner with charter services to make use of the time the jets aren't in use, which reportedly is often, as opposed to the 11-hour days a commercial aircraft is in use. BlackJet customers will be able to book online via a mobile app and bypass security lines unlike commercial flights. Tech Crunch: http://tcrn.ch/Tl94wF
4. MINI-FOODS TREND: Small, cute portions aren't just for kids anymore. Perhaps a trend born out of Pinterest, mini foods seem to be everywhere. NPR takes a look at the interest about and spread of the trend. NPR: http://n.pr/R7bsTz
5. APPLE'S LIGHT BULBS: Starting tomorrow, Apple will sell Philips Hue light bulbs, a web-enabled LED lighting system that lets customers have complete customization of their lighting through an iPad. Mashable:http://on.mash.to/Q0VGP7
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The Sinclair, a music venue in Harvard Square, is slated to open on November 14. The venue's eatery will open down the line.
Last week a Green Carpet Event co-sponsored by Boston Commonmagazine celebrated the partnership between Smith & Wollensky and The Mission Continues, a non-profit that raises funds for post-September 11, 2001, veterans.
CHICAGO: Westfield Old Orchard's holiday decor, set to go up in November, includes a walk-through Christmas tree. Near the mall's koi pond, the tree has changing lights, touch-screen ornaments, and a funhouse-style wall of mirrored spheres.
Trump International Hotel & Tower's “Reindeer on the River” event is November 17. The free event includes two live reindeer, a visit from Santa, cocoa, sweets, and a live performance from the St. Luke's choir.
LAS VEGAS: On November 13 the Las Vegas Hospitality Association is celebrating its 50th anniversary at the Smith Center.
BlogWorld plans to host one all-inclusive New Media Expo in Las Vegas in 2013, unlike recent years in which BlogWorld hosted trade shows on both coasts.
Rain Nightclub officially closed yesterday. Las Vegas City Life:http://bit.ly/P3wbLw
LOS ANGELES: The Los Angeles County Museum of Art hosted its annual Art+Film gala over the weekend. The event raised more than $3.5 million.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The second annual Recent Cinema from Spain series will take place November 8-12.
NEW YORK: Long Island City’s Z New York Hotel will host an event showcase on November 1.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Curtis Hawk has been appointed the new executive chef of restaurant ZED451 and has revealed a unique “cravings” menu.
TORONTO: Toronto Life is hosting its “Most Influential People” event on November 8 at the Ritz-Carlton.
WASHINGTON: Several local restaurants are serving Democratic- and Republican-themed drinks and tallying drinks sold in attempts
to predict the election outcome. http://bit.ly/R2HRKX
Windows Catering’s holiday brochure is now available online.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: [email protected].
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.