Posted November 12, 2012, 10:11 AM EST
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #388 — Monday, 11.12.12++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. VOICEMAIL CAMPAIGN: Dos Equis is encouraging fans to get in touch with its character “The Most Interesting Man in the World” via voicemail. A promotion on the side of Diablo's Cantina in Las Vegas reads, “Looking for an interesting time?” with a number that leads the caller to prerecorded messages from the beer spokesman himself. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/QtBW79
2. MOVEMBER MARKETING: Gillette is supporting Movember, when men sign up to grow a mustache for the month of November to raise awareness and money for prostate cancer. The razor brand is promoting the launch of a new facial hair trimmer with a three-city eMo'gency Style Tour to show men how to keep their 'staches in presentable shape. Ad Age: http://bit.ly/ZbquOs
3. IKEA GOES INTERACTIVE: The U.S. division of the Swedish retailer plans to launch an interactive catalog called “Celebrate Brilliantly” for the holiday season. Users can read and watch the content on the store's Web site. The New York Times: “The contents include video clips as well as integrations with Ikea's presence in social media like Facebook and Pinterest. Other interactive elements include a feature to change the furniture and accessories in a photograph by using a mouse to 'pull down' a virtual window shade." http://nyti.ms/VV20t6
4. FOOD ADAPTATION: Advertising Age reports on how marketers are changing their game as the way people eat continues to shift. According to the Food Marketing Institute, the average number of items sold at supermarkets has increased to 38,000 today from 10,425 in 1977. “In many cases, the forces shaping the food world are driven by consumer groups with rapidly diverging tastes. Consider the well-to-do food elitists practicing what shopper-marketing firm SAI Marketing calls 'food one-upsmanship,' living a 'post-acquisitive' lifestyle in which food experiences—rather than jewelry or sports cars—are emerging as the primary luxury purchase. Yet the majority of us are 'food realists' who simply looking to get by as we seek more deals from familiar brands." http://bit.ly/TDeh0I
5. ROMNEY'S FACEBOOK LOSS: Since he conceded the election last week, Mitt Romney's social media support has been dwindling. He has lost more than 50,000 Facebook fans at a rate of around 847 people per hour. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/ROORx6
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Up-Coming Webinar: Destination Weddings | Milena Santoro, CEO of MS Productions | November 6th at 1PM EST. In This webinar, Milena will walk you through all aspects involved in organizing and executing a destination wedding.
* SANDY HELP*
RentQuest will donate 10% of rental order proceeds to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy relief. http://on.fb.me/XweuYI
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The Boys and Girls Clubs of Middlesex County will host its Inspiration Celebration November 15 at the Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge. Massachusetts State Senator Sal DiDomenico will be honored as Hero of the Year.
CHICAGO: Several area restaurants are supporting Hurricane Sandy Relief by donating to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Participating eateries include Koi, which will donate one percent of all proceeds to the effort on Wednesday, and Chicago Q, which will donate five percent of all bourbon sales this month.
Shaw's and Tokio Pub will host a charity drive benefitting the American Red Cross Hurricane Sandy Relief Effort on November 17. The goal is to raise $5,000.
The spa at the Dana Hotel & Spa can host holiday gatherings for groups of 4 to 25. The space has five treatment rooms and offers seasonal treatments such as a hot chocolate and caramel stone facials. Small plates, hors d'oeuvres, and beverages for spa events are catered by Argent Restaurant.
Erik Chizeck is the new chef at the Barrelhouse Flat. His redesigned menu will include such items as popcorn with bacon, blue cheese, and green onions; seared quail in a rutabaga puree; and smoked white fish crostini paired with smoked peas and pine nuts in a cider vinaigrette.
LAS VEGAS: In celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort is launching Project 50, a series of winter sports-related events. This Friday LVSSR is hosting Who's on Board, which will feature a silent auction of artwork made from snowboard cutouts.
The annual Christmas tree-lighting ceremony “A Miracle On El Paseo” at the Shops on El Paseo will be November 17. Restaurants and wineries at the Shops will donate to the breast cancer charity BigHorn Bam, and Olympic gold medalist and breast cancer survivor Dorothy Hamill will light the tree.
LOS ANGELES: The Reindeer Project launch event November 13 at the Westfield Century City Plaza will feature catering by Seasons 52, KCRW DJ Anthony Valadez, and an art auction benefiting Inner-City Arts.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The Miami Science Museum will release the request for proposals for the commission of large-scale art for its new building during Art Basel Miami Beach December 7 and 8. The new arts facility, the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, will open in 2015.
NEW YORK: After damage from Hurricane Sandy, Jean-George's West Village restaurant, Perry St., may take two months to reopen.http://bit.ly/Z33yjE
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey is accepting donations of nonperishable, unexpired food items for the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida on November 15 in exchange for ticket vouchers.
TORONTO: The Art of Productions Inc. has partnered with the 100th Grey Cup Festival to host the Art of Management Conference. The conference will be at the Metro Toronto Convention Center November 20.
WASHINGTON: Mandarin Oriental, Washington, D.C., has appointed Andreas Weickenberg as director of food and beverage. He previously had the same title at the Las Vegas branch.
Events DC and Smart City recently finished installing their new telecommunications technology, “EventPath,” which connects the Walter E. Washington Convention Center with nearby hotels.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Lauren Matthews, Anna Sekula, Ellen Sturm Niz, and Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.