The BizBash IdeaFest Chicago is today at the Merchandise Mart. Online registration is closed, but you can register on-site: http://bit.ly/ZsYbeE. We'll be tweeting insights and pics from the show; follow @BizBash_News to get the latest updates.
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #390 — Wednesday, 11.14.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. STORM FIGURES: As the travel and hospitality industry measures the effects of Hurricane Sandy on New York businesses, there's some debate about the impact to hotels. Travel Weekly: ”The effect of flight cancellations was partially offset by the boost in room demand from emergency workers, insurance adjusters, stranded travelers and, later in the week, runners who had traveled to the city for the New York City Marathon, which was canceled less than 48 hours before the start of the race...[Smith Travel Research] senior vice president Jan Freitag maintained that demand will return to normalcy fairly quickly as flight schedules straighten out and leisure and business travelers resume their travel habits. Bjorn Hanson, divisional dean of New York University’s school of tourism and hospitality management, took a more pessimistic view of the situation. Hanson said that the substantial advance warning of Sandy caused enough business-meeting cancellations to put a dent in what has generally been a busy fourth-quarter lodging season for New York." http://bit.ly/RTKUck
2. VICTORIA'S SECRET SNAFU: After the use of a Native American-style headdress in its annual fashion show event was met with criticism, lingerie brand Victoria's Secret issued an apology and is pulling the look from the December 4 broadcast on CBS. The Associated Press: http://bit.ly/TGDvvo
3. UNDERWEAR SUPPORT: In an effort to raise awareness and money for “below-the-belt” cancers, testicular-cancer survivor Mark McIntyre will hitchhike across Canada in nothing but his underwear. The campaign has been named the Gitchhiker, as the word “gitch” is Canadian slang for underwear. If McIntyre completes his hitchhiking goal in 21 days, underwear brand Stanfield's will donate $20,000 to the Canadian Cancer Society. AdWeek: "[S]upporters can like Stanfield's Facebook page to see McIntyre's progress. There, they can also offer him rides, and vote to give him benevolent gifts like boots and sadistic challenges like swimming mostly naked in icy water." http://bit.ly/QEocqa
4. SHOPPABLE VIDEO ADS: More retailers are looking at shoppable videos as a way to monetize online advertising, and today Juicy Couture is launching its effort on YouTube paired with the Twitter hashtag #GiveMeWhatIWant. Ad Age: http://bit.ly/ZDnmKw
5. BRAND BUZZ: YouGov's BrandIndex measured consumers' perspectives of 1,100 brands to see which are coaxing them most to shop this holiday season. The results are in a form of a brand's “buzz score” and Sears has garnered the largest number, while airline Southwest comes in second. Other brands that made the coveted top 10 list include Facebook, ESPN, Xbox 360, and Showtime. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/RSduL8
Up-Coming Live Event: Maverick Series Live: Luxury Weddings | Marcy Blum, Colin Cowie, Tara Guérard, Ceci Johnson | Tuesday, November 27 | 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EST). Join us for a series of one-on-one interviews with these top industry planners.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Pop it Like it's Hot, a hot chocolate pop-up shop, will take up residence in the lobby of the Revere Hotel every Friday starting November 23 through December 21. The shop will offer hot chocolate in flavors such as maple bacon and ginger white.
Modern Language Association will host its annual convention in Boston January 3 to 6. Some 8,500 language and literature scholars and professors will attend.
CHICAGO: Magnolia Bakery's seasonal treats for meetings and events include a pumpkin pecan bar, fall cupcakes, and apple crumb pie.
LAS VEGAS: The Las Vegas Hospitality Association celebrated its 50th anniversary during its November election mixer and cocktail reception yesterday at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts.
Triple B Backstage Bar & Billiards Lounge will have a grand opening event downtown on Friday.
LOS ANGELES: Variety will honor Seth MacFarlane at its annual Power of Comedy event November 17 at the Avalon Hollywood.
Photo L.A. will return to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium for its 22nd edition from January 17 to 21.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Heineken will launch a mural project and bike tour with six renowned, bicultural street artists during Art Basel November 29 at Cafeina Lounge.
NEW YORK: Performa's Relache gala, which was rescheduled to November 29 as a result of Hurricane Sandy, will serve a menu styled after the evening's surrealist theme. Dishes from catering company Bite will include iced raw oysters with tapioca pearls, raw baby carrots planted upside down in mushroom “soil,” and foie gras and mushroom-stuffed quails with peacock plumage. http://bit.ly/R3XiD9
The Rolling Stones will make their first American show on their “The Stones--50 and Counting” tour at the Barclays Center on December 8. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/ZrJeJ0
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The 25th annual Performance Racing Industry Trade Show will take place November 29 to December 1 at the Orange County Convention Center.
TORONTO: GroYourBiz will launch a new Toronto chapter for women entrepreneurs and business owners November 14 at BMO Bank of Montreal.
WASHINGTON: The National Women's Museum will host a gala paying tribute to women who have shaped history on November 14 at the Ronald Reagan Building Amphitheater.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Lauren Matthews, Anna Sekula, Ellen Sturm Niz, and Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.