BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #391 — Thursday, 11.15.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. ENGAGING NUMBERS: With so much digital content available to marketers comes an enormous amount of consumer data to analyze. Pepsi's chief marketing officer of global consumer engagement, Frank Cooper, said the brand has numerous way to deal with such information. This includes monitoring and engaging in social media and collecting data from sources like YouTube and Google Analytics. On the proactive side, Cooper says producing branded content that prompts consumer commentary is important to entering conversations. Ad Age:http://bit.ly/RXCJtU
2. MILLENNIAL FOCUS: Campbell Soup announced the launch of its new Campbell's Go Communal Tables program. The initiative, which took place in New York and Chicago earlier this week, hosted a six-course sampling of Campbell's Go soups at five different communal tables throughout the day. The Millennials-only tastings were paired with partnerships with brands like BuzzFeed, Spotify, and Rovio Entertainment to further reach the brand's target age group. Press release: http://aol.it/TGhEls
3. DIGITAL FLIPBOOK: Alfred Dunhill created a new type of Facebook last week at Japan's vintage car race, Nippon Rally. By clicking quickly through one of the brand's 200-photo Facebook albums, the images became animated, which turned the experience from photo-viewing to video-watching. AdWeek http://bit.ly/W6x8pK
4. BUSINESS PINS: Pinterest is rolling out new business accounts for brands as well as widgets that allow companies to embed pins and boards on third-party sites. Ad Age: http://bit.ly/UGLqaV
In other social media news: Facebook has finally introduced a “share” button on its mobile platform that will also be paired with users' ability to “like” and comment on content, which was previously just reserved for the desktop version of the social media site. The increased ability to share content through mobile will also likely expand to sponsored posts, giving brands more reach. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/SrVJz9
5. FOODIE EVENT STARTUP: A San Diego-based company called DinnerDate is helping single foodies find love through dinner. The concept is to create a group atmosphere around the common bond of a foodie mindset so people can meet one another. According to the startup, more than 80% of romances stem from group dinners. DinnerDate reserves tables at the city's best restaurants, handles the pre-planned menu ahead of time, and charges members for the meal upfront to keep bill-splitting confusion at bay. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/XGyJ63
Here are the winners of our Chicago Readers' Choice Awards, which were presented Wednesday afternoon at the Chicago BizBash IdeaFest:
*Association Event Planner of the Year: Kristina Tarantino, Portland Cement Association
*Caterer of the Year (In-House): Connie Bolle, Chicago Botanic Garden
*Caterer of the Year (Off-Premise): Cindi Webber, Jewell Events Catering
*Corporate Event Planner of the Year: Pattie Monahan, Chicago Is...
*DJ of the Year: Megan Taylor, Fig Media
*Entertainment Act of the Year: Arlen Music Productions
*Event Designer of the Year: Bridget Johnson, Kehoe Designs
*Event Producer of the Year: David St. Martin, agencyEA
*Fund-Raising Event Planner of the Year: Jeremy Hilborn, Chicago House
*PR Professional of the Year: Mary Doyle, Zapwater
*Reality Show Event Planner of the Year: Samantha Goldberg, Samantha Goldberg & Company
*Social Event Planner of the Year: Candace Polk, Glitz Event Design
*Venue Manager of the Year: Marley Bellwood, River East Art Center
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Haru is offering a $50 bonus card for every $500 spent on off-site catering and delivery services through December 31.
CHICAGO: The Tortoise Club opens in River North November 19.
ChicagoCares, a Hurricane Sandy Relief benefit, takes place tonight at the Grid Chicago. The event includes cocktails, passed appetizers, a silent auction, and a DJ set from DJ Rock City.
Penton Media bought media company Farm Progress, which owns and operated four farm trade shows.
DALLAS: Chris Southwick has been appointed as the executive assistant manager of culinary and food and beverage at the Ritz-Carlton Dallas.
LAS VEGAS: Juanes and Santana will perform together at the XIII annual Latin Grammy awards tonight at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
The Sugar Factory American Brasserie at Paris Las Vegas has unveiled a new menu of dishes and cocktails, thanks to the factory’s new executive chef, Matthew Piekarski.
Life is Beautiful, a two-day food, music, and arts festival, will take place in downtown Las Vegas in fall 2013.
LOS ANGELES: On Friday, the 40th anniversary American Music Awards will host a pre-party at the Club Nokia V.I.P. Lounge at L.A. Live to celebrate nominees of the new Electronic Dance Music category.
Presented by the San Francisco Brewers Guild, the fifth edition of SF Beer Week will take place February 8 to 17 and will feature more than 325 craft beer events throughout the Bay Area.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: As part of the Art Basel Miami Beach program, Select Fair at the Catalina Hotel & Beach Club on December 6 to 9 will feature 64 art galleries, installations, and performances.
NEW YORK: The Williams Institute’s annual Fall Reception and Founders Dinner is tonight at Midtown Loft & Terrace and will be catered by Canard.
Manhattan and Brooklyn chefs will compete to dish up the best potato pancake at the annual Latke Festival, scheduled to take place at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on December 10.
Franck Cursat is leaving his position as managing partner at Olivier Cheng Catering and Events December 21 to return to France.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The Tampa Convention Center will waive room fees for groups that book a holiday party that includes a plated or buffet meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The four-level, 600,000-square-foot convention center has 36 meeting rooms, 10 of which have waterfront views.
The Winter Park Boat Parade & Festival of Lights will take place December 8. The event also includes a water ski show on Lake Virginia.
SCOTTSDALE: This January, W Scottsdale will open six new specialty suites in a private wing of the hotel.
TORONTO: The Gourmet Food & Wine Expo runs today through November 18 at the Metro Toronto Convention Center. Expecting to attract more than 40,000 visitors, the expo will offer food from top chefs around the world and more than 1,500 varieties of wine, beer, and spirits.
Brandy Melville is hosting a launch party for its new Toronto location on November 27.
WASHINGTON: The Starlight Children’s Foundation is hosting its 13th annual Taste of the Stars gala this Saturday at the Four Seasons Hotel in northwest Washington.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Lauren Matthews, Anna Sekula, Ellen Sturm Niz, and Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.