BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #393 — Monday, 11.19.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
1. SHOW TECH: At last night's American Music Awards, presenters didn't announce award winners from the traditional paper in an envelope; they used Samsung's new Galaxy Note II device instead. Mashable:http://on.mash.to/QSXvOH
2. DEBUT DELAYS: Nintendo's official launch event for its Wii U console crowded the brand's small Rockefeller Center store, leaving many shoppers outside for hours. Geek.com: ”Official video game launch events are not supposed to be like Black Friday, where you wait, wait, and wait some more. It’s supposed to pump everyone up with energy and provide a memorable experience. Nintendo focused on the photo ops, not the hundreds of fans eager to spend their hard-earned money.”http://bit.ly/T6HJf0
3. AS SEEN ON TV: Brands like American Express and Target are looking to get consumers to shop online while they watch TV shows. Target recently showed vignettes featuring ABC's Revenge cast promoting the new Target and Neiman Marcus collaboration that also prompted viewers to look for additional content online during the show. Ad Age: http://bit.ly/10eqU6q
4. ORGANIC ENGAGEMENT: Group M Next, which sources new technologies, conducted a study of 25 Facebook brand pages and found that the number of organic posts from a brand have declined, yet user engagement is up. Ad Age: “While fewer fans are seeing organic posts in their news feeds, those who do are more likely to have a real affinity for the brand, as opposed to users who may have clicked on the 'like' button to enter a contest." http://bit.ly/XVkudG
5. BRAND REWARDS: A new location-based app, Kapture, connects photo-taking users to their favorite brands for rewards. By taking and sharing a photo of something brand-related, users earn rewards like discounts. Each photo taken looks like a polaroid-style image with the brand's logo on it. Mashable: "'Kapture turns anyone taking a photo into a brand ambassador,' Michael Szewczyk, founder of Kapture, told Mashable in an interview. 'This allows businesses and brands to benefit from the billions of photos that people take each month, and users to earn something outside of just social.'" http://on.mash.to/WheCuS
Up-Coming Live Event: Strategies for Increasing Your Venue Sales | Robert O. Sanders Jr., CMP, CEO of Hospitality Resource Group, Inc. | Tuesday, November 20 | CUNY - The Graduate Center, New York, NY | 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM (EST). Veteran hospitality sales consultant Robert Sanders will dissect the elements that go into a successful sales strategy for a wide range of event venues.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The Joslin Diabetes Center's High Hopes gala took place at the Westin Boston Waterfront on Saturday. The evening had a Rat Pack theme, and Liz Walker was the M.C.
CHICAGO: John Barleycorn opened a new River North location on November 15. The 14,000-square-foot venue, which has elevated private dining booths on the second floor, seats 400. The saloon has a total capacity of 775.
LAS VEGAS: Jerry Lewis is bringing his comic routines back to the Orleans stage, likely to do comic routines similar to those from 1957. Las Vegas Review-Journal: http://bit.ly/U8wxj2
LOS ANGELES: The 40th annual American Music Awards and Nokia hosted a pre-party at L.A. Live's Club Nokia to celebrate nominees and artists in Electronic Dance Music, a new award category in this year’s show. There were DJ performances by Audrey Napoleon and electronic dance music act Nero.
Ryan Seacrest unveiled the star-studded lineup for KIIS FM’s annual holiday concert, Jingle Ball 2012, which will feature two completely different shows over two nights at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live December 1 and 3.
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: David Grutman of LIV nightclub fame will turn 136 Collins Avenue on Miami Beach into the Story Nightclub.
NEW YORK: On Sunday, TED hosted a TEDYouth event for New York City high school students at the Times Center in Manhattan, which coincided with more than 100 self-organized TEDxYouthDay events occurring in 42 countries over a 24-hour period.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Run for Your Lives, the original zombie 5K obstacle course, ran through the city this weekend.
WASHINGTON: Bob Dylan, along with Mark Knopfler, will perform at the Verizon Center November 20.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Lauren Matthews, Anna Sekula, Ellen Sturm Niz, and Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.