Posted November 20, 2012, 10:10 AM EST
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #394 — Tuesday, 11.20.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
1. COMMUNITY BUILDING: ScentSicles and Balsam Hills are partnering to benefit Toys for Tots with a three-day digital Christmas tree-decorating event called Communitree. The promotion, which launched yesterday, enables people to hang ornaments on a tree using a robotic arm operated via a live-streaming Web site. For each decoration hung, $5 will be donated to Toys for Tots. After decorating the tree, participants can share their ornaments on Facebook, where each “like” garners additional donations. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: http://bit.ly/XYMDRb
2. FASHION BUYS: Advanstar Global of Advanstar Communications announced it will acquire ENK International, the fashion industry's second largest fashion event production company. Advanstar will add ENK properties like Fashion Coterie and Intermezzo to its portfolio, which currently includes Magic and Project. Press release: http://prn.to/URNbYz
3. SOCIAL STORIES: Starting November 28, Twitter will host its first-ever Twitter Fiction Festival. The five-day event encourages users to become storytellers by creating a “literary experiment that challenges the limits of Twitter content sharing.” Andrew Fitzgerald of Twitter’s media team: “From time to time, creative individuals undertake exciting Twitter-based projects that push the bounds of how we define storytelling on Twitter. We want to encourage more of that, by bringing storytellers together all at the same time and bringing an audience to them.” Mashable:http://on.mash.to/10jOJtA
4. JUST DESSERTS: Ben & Jerry's is reaching out to ice cream lovers on Instagram to cast the faces of its new ad campaign. The brand is asking people to tag Instagram photos with the hashtag #captureeuphoria to show their personal feelings of joy. Twenty of the best photos will run in ads in the photographers' geographical area, making him or her a local celebrity. Fast Company: http://bit.ly/QpvNZU
5. PUPPY LOVE: Samsung may have scored a big promotional push at Sunday's American Music Awards by using the Galaxy Note II to announce winners, but yesterday the brand debuted and pulled a new ad all in one day. The ad, called “Don't Give Up on Puppy Love!” showed people getting fed up with and attacking their PCs. However, an animated character that looked like a puppy was superimposed onto the computers, making it seem like the attacks were on the canines. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/10lSSgs
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Up-Coming Live Event: Strategies for Increasing Your Venue Sales | Robert O. Sanders Jr., CMP, CEO of Hospitality Resource Group, Inc. | Tuesday, November 20 | CUNY - The Graduate Center, New York, NY | 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM (EST). Veteran hospitality sales consultant Robert Sanders will dissect the elements that go into a successful sales strategy for a wide range of event venues.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Seaport Hotel will host a kickoff event for the fund-raising and toy drive for Christmas in the City on November 29. The event will include a raffle and the auction of three Christmas trees lit and fully decorated by Mayor Thomas Menino, the Boston Celtics, and Yo-Yo Ma.
Abby Lane opened in the theater district on Monday. Executive chef Jason Santos serves up casual items such as calamari, burgers, and lobster rolls.
CHICAGO: The Goddess and Grocer has à la carte catering menus with holiday themes. Options include the Christmas Dinner for 12, which comes with a whole roasted turkey, house-made gravy, whipped sweet potatoes, and pecan pie.
LAS VEGAS: Michael Eisner will be the keynote speaker for the National Association of Home Builders International Builders Show. The housing industry's largest annual trade show and exhibition will be held January 22 to 24 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
8 News Now: “Las Vegas kids got a chance to be inspired and empowered at a TEDxYouthDay event downtown Saturday. Many speakers came together to promote innovation and creativity." http://bit.ly/Ta3Vbc
Next month, 9Group Las Vegas is slated to open new bar Scarlet at Palms Casino Resort, with a mixology program created by Francesco Lafranconi.
LOS ANGELES: L.A. Times: “The Los Angeles men's tennis event that has been held each summer at U.C.L.A. since 1984 will be held next summer in Bogota, Colombia." http://lat.ms/Wkr1y5
Local event listings from Masterplanner:http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: To benefit Feeding South Florida, Miami Metropolitan International Fashion Week presented a charity fashion show last night at STK Miami.
NEW YORK: The Association of Fundraising Professionals hosted its 15th annual National Philanthropy Day luncheon at the Plaza yesterday. The event honored Susan B. Ulin, founder and chairman of Susan Ulin Associates.
Bronson van Wyck opened a temporary holiday pop-up store in the West Village.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Universal Studios Park has two new dining experiences for guests. The Superstar Character Breakfast gives guests a chance to meet characters from the Universal Superstar Parade, and guests also receive access to a special viewing area for the parade later that day. The second addition is the Cinematic Spectacular Dining Experience, where guests enjoy dinner at Lombard's Seafood Grille followed by dessert in a private viewing area for Universal's Cinematic Spectacular nighttime lagoon show.
TORONTO: The Toronto Cancer Education Conference & Medical Exposition will take place November 22 and 23 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
WASHINGTON: Destination DC will join American Express in this year’s Small Business Saturday on November 24 in an effort to strengthen the community by supporting local, independently owned small business.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Lauren Matthews, Anna Sekula, Ellen Sturm Niz, and Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.