Posted November 30, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #400 — Friday, 11.30.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Hi there! Our 400th Call Sheet seems like a good place to thank you for reading. And while we’re at it, please welcome back your regular Call Sheet compiler, senior editor Beth Kormanik, who returned from her maternity leave this week.
As always, we want to know what you’re seeing out there: firstname.lastname@example.org.
—Chad Kaydo, editor in chief, BizBash
Compiled today by Beth Kormanik in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
1. OSCARS ONLINE: More than half of the membership of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has signed up for online voting for this year's Oscars, but the switch has caused a few hiccups. The Academy had to extend the deadline for voters who still wanted paper ballots and is taking other measures to ease the transition. The Hollywood Reporter: “The Academy has set up assisted voting stations at its locations in Los Angeles, New York, and London and will offer a 24-hour support call center during voting periods.” http://bit.ly/X6Yxs7
2. GROUPON'S BASEBALL DEAL: Chicago-based Groupon's events product, GrouponLive, announced a partnership Major League Baseball. Adweek: “Groupon will work with Major League Baseball Advanced Media (Mlbam), the pro baseball league's interactive arm, to facilitate the MLB partnership, offering discounts on the full price range of stadium seat offerings, as well as access to batting practice, luxury boxes, and ballpark tours.” It was unknown whether the deal was exclusive, freezing out competitor LivingSocial, which has offered baseball deals in the past. http://bit.ly/SwS58Y
Speaking of Groupon: Here’s our video interview with its experiential marketing and events manager, Noelle Provincial:
3. BRINGING BACK BAZOOKA: The iconic gum brand, reacting to a drop in sales and brand awareness, is overhauling its logo and packaging and replacing its Bazooka Joe comic strips with brainteasers and codes for online promotions. Anthony Trani, vice president of marketing at Bazooka Candy Brands, a division of the Topps Company: “What we’re trying to do with the relaunch is to make the brand relevant again to today’s kids.” The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/YclRpL
4. BO KNOWS CHRISTMAS: The Cut: “The White House posted an adorable video of First Dog Bo 'inspecting' the holiday decorations today. What a good boy he is, sitting right where he's supposed to and posing with a Santa hat atop his furry head! Watch and your heart will grow three sizes.” http://nym.ag/Rm41NV
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
* 10 BEST IDEAS OF THE WEEK *
Here’s a look at 10 steal-worthy ideas we spotted this week, including Stoli's colorful all-white event in New York, an arty launch for the Mercedes-Benz B-Class in Toronto, a gingerbread elevator in Chicago, a holiday kickoff at L.A. Live, and an intimate gala on a baseball field in Miami. http://bizba.sh/X7VArd
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Legal Harborside will serve a Feast of the Seven Fishes tasting menu with items such as “merry oysters.” The menu will be available through Christmas.
CHICAGO: JCPenney's Holiday Tour stops in Chicago Monday. Set to take place near Millennium Park, the guerilla-style promotion will include Santa and his elf doling out gifts and hugs to passersby. The activation uses the hashtag #jcp12days.
The Chicago Tribune: The themes for the changing menus at Next in 2013 will be: vegan, “The Hunt,” and Bocuse d'Or. http://trib.in/11kSkIi
Intelligent Lighting Creations provided lighting equipment for Leonard Cohen's world tour, which wraps up in Brooklyn December 20. Designer Ryan Murphy designed the lighting.
LAS VEGAS: SFGate has a Q&A with Nevada's new state tourism director, Claudia Vecchio: http://bit.ly/X2cMP0
Las Vegas Review-Journal: “Three heavy hitters in the Las Vegas hospitality industry are coming together for those on the East Coast affected by Superstorm Sandy. MGM Resorts International, Southern Wine & Spirits of Nevada, and Barcelona are hosting a food and wine festival.” The event is scheduled for December 9 on the Brooklyn Bridge outside New York-New York. http://bit.ly/UcfQDb
LOS ANGELES: Longtime music and television producer Ken Ehrlich and his production company AEG Ehrlich Ventures will produce the 55th annual Grammy awards, the Recording Academy announced Thursday.
The 65th Primetime Emmy Awards are September 22, 2013.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: United Colors of Benetton will reopen its Miami flagship store in South Beach December 7.
Women's Wear Daily: “Prada will open a store in the Miami Design District on December 6, in conjunction with the Art Basel Miami fair.” http://wwd.us/V8smSM
NEW YORK: New York Business Journal: “JetBlue Airways Corporation and Delta Airlines will waive the change fee for customers who need to rebook because their travel plans have been affected by schools that are cancelling winter break due to Hurricane Sandy.” http://bit.ly/X5wKIs
Elizabeth Arden will create a mini spa Saturday and Sunday in Madison Square Park. The Recharge Room will offer makeovers, a photo booth, and Baked by Melissa cupcakes. Photographer Nigel Barker is also slated to photograph some guests.
Neil Young and Crazy Horse plan to play a benefit concert at the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa December 6 to raise money for Hurricane Sandy victims. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/X5aaQn
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa is creating a gaming area and 15-seat noodle bar tailored to Asian customers. The 4,000-square-foot Jubao Palace will open in a few weeks and include 17 tables for games most popular among Asian players. Employees will be able to converse with customers in all of the major Asian languages, and the facility has also created two Web pages for Chinese- and Vietnamese-speaking guests.
The city of Orlando's Holiday Lights event is tonight at the Lake Eola Park Amphitheatre. The program includes the lighting of the city's Christmas tree, a choral performance, food trucks, and a showing of the movie Elf.
TORONTO: The Toronto Women’s Expo is this weekend at the Downsview Park.
WASHINGTON: Got Your 6, the national veteran nonprofit, held a Celebration of Service event Wednesday in honor of the newly elected military veterans in Congress.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Beth Kormanik, Joana Mangune, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
Advertise here: firstname.lastname@example.org