BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #421 — Wednesday, 01.09.13
++ Sponsored by Social Tables ++
Compiled today by Beth Kormanik in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. SOLD-OUT SUPER BOWL ADS: CBS announced it has sold all of the available commercial time for the February 3 broadcast, and experts estimate the average price tag has increased to up to $3.8 million for each 30 seconds from $3.5 million last year. The network does not disclose which brands will advertise, but some advertisers have already come forward including the Coca-Cola Company, PepsiCo, Ford Motor, for Lincoln, GoDaddy, Mercedes-Benz, and Oreo. New York Times: “The increasing interest among consumers in sharing information about Super Bowl ads in social media is encouraging sponsors to describe their Super Bowl plans earlier.” http://nyti.ms/UJtOO6
2. SOMETHING'S BREWING AT FACEBOOK: Will the social media behemoth announce a phone? Upgrade its search functionality? Facebook announced a news conference at its campus next week and is promising something big. Los Angeles Times: “That was enough to unleash a feverish wave of speculation even in the blitz of coverage coming out of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. It might just be a product launch, but we plan to treat it like a rocket launch.” http://lat.ms/Ww9NZg
3. DISNEYLAND TICKET CRACKDOWN: Visitors to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park with multiday passes should expect to be photographed as the theme parks try to stop ticket brokers who “lease” the passes to guests for individual days. Guests complained of long entry lines Tuesday as the process went on. Los Angeles Times: “When the pass is used a second time, Disneyland workers at the park turnstiles will see a photo of the guest pop up on a computer screen, [park spokeswoman Suzi Brown] said. If the person at the turnstile is not the person shown on the screen, Brown said the guest won't be allowed to use the ticket.” http://lat.ms/XMroD2
4. 'DOWNTON' TIE-INS: Brands are jumping on the Downton Abbey train with marketing campaigns tied to the hit PBS show: Fashion house Ralph Lauren has signed on as a national sponsor, and The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook was recently released. AdAge: “The show's massive following in the States has spurred a bevy of promotions and product tie-ins that tap into fans' desires to experience the period fashion and sprawling estate.” http://bit.ly/XLEmAR
5. GOLDEN GLOBE PRESENTERS: Presenters for Sunday's award show will include Meryl Streep, George Clooney, Will Ferrell, and Amanda Seyfried. The Hollywood Reporter: http://bit.ly/UHjEO3
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR ++
The Latin Grammys turned to Social Tables to make their seating more efficient. Find out why by starting your full-access 14-day free trial.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Distinctive Hospitality Group's SkyBokx 109 GastroSports opens in Natick today. With a private party room that holds 50, the venue offers sports viewing, live entertainment, and pub-style fare such as barbecue ribs and poutine.
Burrito Bowl, a culinary competition, will be at Poe's Kitchen at the Rattlesnake February 2. Participating chefs include Josh Rush of Church and Brian Roche of Lolita, and each chef will roll up a burrito inspired by his favorite N.F.L. team. Attendees and special guest “referees” will select a winning dish.
CHICAGO: In honor of National Tea Month (apparently, it's January) the Chicago Marriott Naperville will offer a new Sweets, Savories, and Tea service. Available to meeting guests, the service offers Adagio teas, sweets including cinnamon-honey scones, and savories such as mini B.L.T.s and smoked salmon mousse.
The Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation will host its “Be My Valentine” family event February 10 at the Ritz-Carlton. The event will include a brunch buffet, Valentine's Day activities for kids, a video arcade room, and live entertainment.
LAS VEGAS: Vegas Inc. has compiled a calendar of some of the city’s most important conventions, events, meetings, and government happenings. http://bit.ly/Xe0Qqk
MGM Resorts International has collaborated with Cisco Systems to create a high-density Wi-Fi system; it's billed as the highest-performing wireless LAN in the industry.
LOS ANGELES: Sandra Bullock will accept the award for Favorite Humanitarian at the People's Choice Awards, which will air live from the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live January 9 on CBS.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: A launch party for the Web site Save America's Cinemas will be January 11 at the Castle Hotel in Miami Beach. With a Wizard of Oz theme, the event will conduct a drawing in which an independent movie theater owner will win financial assistance to purchase digital projectors, sound systems, servers, and movies screens.
NEW YORK: Empire Force Events, the event production and destination management company, added Michael Fiorentino as partner chief marketing officer. He joins partners Robert W. Hulsmeyer and Jaclyn Bernstein.
The Jade Hotel will open February 1.
Following the merger between Props for Today and the Spoon Group, the new firm PropNSpoon announced it will move to a 50,000-square-foot showroom in Long Island City.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The Surf Expo takes place Thursday through Saturday at the Orange County Convention Center; it will feature more than 2,000 booths from vendors such as Oakley, Tommy Bahama, Vans, and Quiksilver.
TORONTO: The National Franchise & Business Opportunities Show is at the Metro Toronto Convention Center January 12 and 13.
WASHINGTON: Washington Business Journal: “LivingSocial Inc. has nabbed Barry Judge, former chief marketing officer for Best Buy, as its new C.M.O., the D.C.-based deals company announced Tuesday.” http://bit.ly/VQOMcv
The Young Playwrights’ Theater will hold its first gala February 9 at the Edison Place Art Gallery.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Beth Kormanik, Joana Mangune, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertise here: email@example.com