BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #422 — Thursday, 01.10.13
++ Sponsored by Social Tables ++
Compiled today by Beth Kormanik in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. BOOTH BABES ARE BACK: The scantily clad promotional ladies are back at C.E.S. BBC: “While models have been banned from technology and gaming expos in China, the U.S. is seeing a steady growth in their use in marketing. Critics say their presence is degrading to women and contributes to the fact that so few women want to take up careers in engineering.” http://bbc.in/13gOdyU
2. SPACE AGE: In a new promotion, Axe, the line of personal care products for men, is giving away a trip into space. In what the company is calling its “biggest product launch in its 30-year history,” the contest will invite consumers to sign up for “Axe Apollo Space Academy” and make their case for taking a seat aboard a flight with international space agency Space Expedition Corporation. The final group will be chosen at the Axe Global Space Camp in Orlando following competitive space-simulation challenges. Axe has signed on astronaut Buzz Aldrin to help promote the launch. Press release: http://yhoo.it/UKi1z7
3. NASHVILLE IS “IT": The New York Times: “Flush with young new residents and alive with immigrants, tourists and music, the city made its way to the top of all kinds of lists in 2012.” There's also a new $623 million downtown convention center complex, “the Music City Center, a huge convention center whose main section is shaped like a giant guitar laid on its back. It sits on 19 downtown acres and is attached to both the Country Music Hall of Fame and an 800-room, $270 million Omni Hotel, which is expected to open in the fall.” The National Rifle Association conference will bring 48,000 people in 2015, and the city hosted the annual Grammy nomination concert in December. http://nyti.ms/UHgBFE
4. SWIFT, INTERRUPTED: At the People's Choice Awards, Taylor Swift once again found herself interrupted during an acceptance speech. This time, though, it was a joke. MTV: “While introducing the Best Country Artist, presenter Olivia Munn joked that she was the inspiration behind 'We Are Never Getting Back Together.' And she took things even further when she grabbed Taylor's brand-new award from her hands, demanding a 'thank you.'” http://on.mtv.com/ZvvjQ3
5. GOLDEN HOSTS: Golden Globes hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler share their thoughts for the evening, including tips for drinking games (Fey: “Any time an actress cries in a speech, drink. Any time you see a person actively not listening to someone onstage, drink.” The Hollywood Reporter: http://bit.ly/Sky21q
6. PROP PRIZE: PrimeTime Amusements, an operator, seller, and event renter of video arcade machines and simulators, and its division Prop Creations won the Dunkin’ Donuts Top of the WorlDD photo and video contest after building a seven-foot foam replica of a Dunkin’ Donuts coffee cup and shot a video of its employees celebrating the New Year with the prop. The video was featured on the Dunkin’ Donuts digital billboard in Times Square on New Year’s Eve. See the winning video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkVa2EXJVVU
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR ++
The Latin Grammys turned to Social Tables to make their seating more efficient. Find out why by starting your full-access 14-day free trial.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The Boston Wine Expo has new dates this year, February 16 and 17, at the Seaport World Trade Center and Seaport Hotel. Other new features include a V.I.P. tasting experience, a social media lounge, and an expanded mobile app.
As a Valentine's Day promotion, Anna's Taqueria will host “TALKeria,” a speed-dating event, February 5. The event includes burritos, tacos, and Mexican drinks, and ticket proceeds will support Casa Myrna Vasquez.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay will host its Big Night event on February 9 at the House of Blues. The evening includes live performances from Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings.
After closing because of a fire, the North End's Prezza reopens today. The space has been refurbished, and the menu has new offerings including chestnut ravioli and roasted Bronzino.
CHICAGO: Tickled Pink for Bright Pink takes place February 8 at the River East Art Center.
Wendy's will promote its new Right Size Right Price menu at Union Station on January 15 by giving away free Frostys and gift cards. Guests can also play games such as beanbag toss and the Claim Your Taste game, developed by VML.
The Make-a-Wish “Wish Ball” will be held at the UIC Forum on May 18.
Drury Lane is undergoing an extensive renovation, which will be completed in two phases. The first phase wraps up in March; the second phase will be done by mid-2014. Renovations include updates to the 27,000-square-foot grand ballroom, main lobby, and cocktail lounge.
LAS VEGAS: Quest Events, parent company to Quest Drape, has purchased Las Vegas-based A&D Scenery, a scenery and production company that provides scenic construction, rentals, show support, and staging.
LOS ANGELES: The Downtown Art Walk returns today, and so does the Canstruction L.A. contest. The seventh annual event invites architects, designers, builders, and engineers to craft and show off sculptures fashioned from canned goods.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Miami Seaquarium has started offering teambuilding activities with activities such as interaction with dolphins, the Sea Trek Reef Encounter, a ropes course, and picnics. Miami Herald: http://hrld.us/XNBcwA
The 32nd Florida Encounter, Visit Florida's event for meetings and convention planners and suppliers, has been revamped and will be held December 4 to 6 at the PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach County. Sports planners will be attending for the first time.
NEW YORK: The National Stationery Show and the Craft & Hobby Association announced a partnership that will provide new opportunities for the social stationery and craft and creative hobby industries.
Yotel New York appointed Claes Landberg as the general manager of its North American flagship hotel.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Give Them Wings to Fly, a fund-raising event for the music-based children's nonprofit, is today.
Disney announced several management changes Wednesday, including the naming of George Kalogridis as president of the Walt Disney World Resort. Kalogridis has been president of Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. He will succeed Meg Crofton, who will focus on her role as president of park and resort operations in the United States and France, a position she began 18 months ago.
TORONTO: The N.F.L. will host official Super Bowl parties throughout Canada on February 3. Presented by Bud Light, the viewing parties in cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg will offer Bud Light hostesses serving beer, Super Bowl-inspired snacks, giveaways, and appearances from cheerleaders and football players. Mosaic Experiential Marketing is handling production.
The Green Living Show is April 12 to 14 at the Direct Energy Centre. The show will offer more than 450 exhibitors displaying green lifestyle products such as food and wine, fashion, and baby products.
WASHINGTON: Kimpton’s Monaco Alexandria is hosting a free Wedding Open House for brides February 23. Chef Brian McPherson of Jackson 20, which caters all events at the Monaco Alexandria, will serve hors d’oeuvres.
Washingtonian Bride & Groom magazine will host its fifth annual ticketed wedding event, Unveiled, January 27 at the Ritz-Carlton, Washington, D.C. Carine’s Bridal Atelier will present a bridal-gown fashion show, and the hotel will provide catering samples.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Beth Kormanik, Joana Mangune, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertise here: email@example.com