Posted February 26, 2013, 8:46 AM EST
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #454 — Tuesday, 02.26.13
++ Sponsored by TBA Global ++
Compiled today by Beth Kormanik in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
1. ADORABLE WHITE HOUSE INVITE: The White House tapped into the viral “Kid President” videos to announce this year's Easter Egg Roll. This is one adorable way to market an event. Washington Post: http://wapo.st/VJ64vr
2. OSCAR RATINGS: More people tuned in to the Academy Awards this year, with Nielsen estimating the figure at 40.3 million. Los Angeles Times: “The choice of MacFarlane represented an effort by Oscar officials to connect with younger viewers, and the strategy appears to have worked. Ratings were up 11% among viewers ages 18 to 49, the demographic most important to advertisers.” http://lat.ms/YTjS5u
What were people scanning the Internet for during the show? Google ranks the top searches, from the nominees (Jennifer Lawrence) to the red-carpet dresses (again, Lawrence). See all of Google's trends: http://bit.ly/XRMPPW
3. RATING THE OSCARS: Event planners appreciated the set design and lighting but found other aspects over which to quibble. Find out who was “painful to watch” and who wowed. BizBash: bizba.sh/WmnZp8
Who would event pros pick to host next year's award shows? http://bizba.sh/YT62Ab
4. BUILDING ONLINE COMMUNITIES: Luke Bilton, head of content at UBM Live, shares how the company has changed to support one-time live events through its content year-round. The Media Briefing Blog: http://bit.ly/X9pR6I
5. G.S.A. CANCELS EXPO: The General Services Administration cancelled its 2013 expo scheduled for May 14 to 16 in Orlando. Last year's version saw attendance cut in half following the scandal and Congressional hearings over another one of its events. Federal News Radio: “At the tactical level, it makes sense to do that this year,” said Larry Allen, president of Allen Federal Partners and a longtime G.S.A. observer. “G.S.A. was never going to get the customers to turn out, and all industry would have done is be more upset for a second year in a row. From a strategic view, this provides the agency with the opportunity to revamp the expo format that is close to 20 years old.” http://bit.ly/ZnP65G
A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR ++
Simplifying the lives of event planners everywhere, EventO is your event's digital information hub that gets your attendees excited and informed about your event. Check out EventO.
* INTERNAL NEWS *
Three new speakers at the South Florida Event Innovation Forum April 10 have been announced: bizba.sh/VURyDw
* YOUR THOUGHTS *
Yahoo made news this week when C.E.O. Melissa Mayer banned employees from working from home. What do you think about the policy? Unfair to employees, or essential in creating a collaborative working environment? And would it play in the event industry? Let us know your opinion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Tavern Road, a new restaurant in the Fort Point neighborhood, opened Monday. With an open kitchen and a large bar space, the venue showcases local artists' work and serves whole animals and entrées such as striped bass and rabbit.
CHICAGO: The Antiques & Garden Fair returns to the Chicago Botanic Garden April 19 to 21. More than 100 dealers from Europe and the United States will showcase garden furnishings, botanical art, and home and garden decor.
LAS VEGAS: Apparel News: “This season, Magic debuted two new shows in a giant tent adjacent to Mandalay Bay. The Tents at Project featured a curated mix of upscale men’s brands as well as ENKVegas, which was acquired last year by Magic parent company Advanstar.” http://bit.ly/YnJkBS
LOS ANGELES: The Los Angeles Philharmonic has announced its 2013-14 season.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Miami Metropolitan International Fashion Week has tapped former Real Housewives of Miami cast member Christy Rice to host the swimwear lineup. Rice also will debut her own swimwear line at the event, April 24 to 27 at Soho Studios at the Wynwood Convention Center.
NEW YORK: The spring run of the Affordable Art Fair will take place at the Metropolitan Pavilion April 3 to 7.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard will take place March 18 to 24 at Bay Hill Club & Lodge.
TAMPA: M.P.I. Tampa Bay chapter will host a reception and luncheon with actor, author, and fashion consultant Carson Kressley March 11 at A La Carte Event Pavilion. Participating vendors include AFR Event Furnishings, MamaRazzi Foto, AVI-SPL Creative Show Services, La Vie en Rose Floral Design, and Toffee To Go.
TORONTO: A Taste of Iceland festival is March 21 to 24 with events including a special menu at the Drake Hotel, a concert at the Hoxton, and a film festival.
WASHINGTON: Matthew Morrison of Glee is the headliner for the WPAS 2013 Gala and Auction at the Ritz-Carlton, Washington, April 13.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://www.mediabistro.com/bizbash/joblistings/
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Beth Kormanik, Joana Mangune, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertise here: email@example.com