The hundreds of people packed in the Marriott Marquis' Broadway Ballroom for the 2002 James Beard Foundation awards were from all over the country, but judging by the volume of the cheers when a New York chef or restaurant was mentioned, New Yorkers outnumbered the out-of-towners. Here's a list of the New Yorkers who won. The full list of winners--including the journalism award winners--can be found on the James Beard Foundation website.
- Sub-Zero Freezer Company Outstanding Wine Service Award: Paul Grieco, Gramercy Tavern
- Hudson Valley Foie Gras Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional Award: Andrea Immer, French Culinary Institute
- James Beard Foundation Outstanding Restaurant Design Award: New York designers Thomas Schlesser and Demian Repucci for Blackbird Restaurant, Chicago
- Illy Best New Restaurant Award: Tom Colicchio, Craft
- Gallo of Sonoma Rising Star Chef of the Year Award: Jean-Francois Bruel, DB Bistro Moderne
- American Express Best Chef New York City: Mario Batali, Babbo
- All-Clad Cookware Outstanding Chef Award: Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, Felidia Ristorante
- San Pellegrino Outstanding Restaurant Award: Alfred Portale and Jerome Kretchmer, Gotham Bar & Grill
More Bash Buzz...