1. KENNEDY CENTER CHANGES HONORS SELECTION: After criticism that it excluded Latinos from its cultural awards, the Kennedy Center is opening the process to the public, accepting nominations for the first time in its 35-year history. A committee that includes former honorees and others will narrow the choices for a committee of the center's trustees. Associated Press: “You're going to see much more diverse and expansive access to excellence in all disciplines, all realms, and all communities,” said Giselle Fernandez, a former journalist who was born in Mexico and appointed by President Barack Obama to the Kennedy Center's board. http://usat.ly/16mYAoS
2. BEST MUSEUM RESTAURANTS: Departures magazine ranks the top restaurants inside museums worldwide. “At Nerua, inside the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, chef Josean Alija is snapping up awards with culinary creations like roast-duck foie gras with candied carrots and whipped casein with strawberry-and-violet ice cream. In New York, the New-York Historical Society's Caffè Storico prides itself on house-made Italian delicacies such as arancini risotto and garganelli and pappardelle pastas, as well as views of Central Park through its floor-to-ceiling windows. And locavores should seek out the Art Institute of Chicago's Mediterranean-inspired Terzo Piano, where ingredients are sourced from farms and distilleries within 150 miles of the restaurant.” http://huff.to/148HneJ
3. YACHT PARTY STYLE AT CANNES: Etiquette at the famed yacht parties at the film festival calls for guest to remove their shoes on board. Actor Jackie Chan was spotted at one fete with “yacht socks,” black footies with rubber grips on the soles (an item event planners may want to consider offering to guests as gifts). New York's The Cut blog: “This is particularly brilliant because it's been rather chilly in Cannes so far, with temperatures in the not-so-balmy sixties—hardly comfortable barefoot weather. In any case, the Cannes Film Festival is far enough from reality that it's cool to try just about anything." http://nym.ag/15QXRME
4. AIRPORT LOUNGE OFFERS ACCESS TO TOP TWEETERS: American Airlines will give free access to its Admirals Club lounges to people with high Klout scores, a measure of a social media influence. Ad Age: “The partnership is the latest attempt by marketers to shower attention on consumers' big footprints in social media, in hopes to earn mentions in their news feeds. The Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas introduced the 'Klout Klub' in 2010 to offer special amenities to people with high rankings on the service.” http://bit.ly/18TSXL0
5. U.S. OPEN TENNIS GOES TO ESPN: ESPN will broadcast the tennis tournament in 2015, moving it from network to cable television. New York Times: “Only the Super Bowl and the World Series seem safe on broadcast television, but maybe for another decade or so. … With money to spend, ESPN and other cable channels like TNT and TBS have for years been encroaching on the turf of broadcast networks, which have long carried games on weekends and occasionally in prime time. Their strategy has been similar to the one deployed with great success by cable networks like USA, AMC and A&E, which developed original dramas, comedies, and reality series that have forced broadcasters to reimagine their futures as viewers have left them in droves.” http://nyti.ms/10vbZXf
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: The unveiling of the Rooftop at Revere takes place Saturday evening. Hosted by the designers of Pret-a-Surf—which designed staff uniforms—the event will include a silent auction to benefit the One Fund Boston.
CHICAGO: Chicago Equestrians for a Cause will host the annual Chicago Hunter Derby at the Annali Farm in Antioch on September 7-8.
LAS VEGAS: The Las Vegas Paranormal Conference starts Sunday at the Palace Station. Las Vegas CityLife: http://bit.ly/10v39IX
LOS ANGELES: Gifts and Decorative Accessories: “LA Mart has moved its fall 2013 GALLA market to Sunday, September 29 through Tuesday, October 1 in response to buyer and manufacturer requests.” http://bit.ly/12ENRAc
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Eater: “If you want to watch Michelle Bernstein of Michy's and Crumb on Parchment cooking (or perhaps happen to be at Aventura Mall on May 23 at 7 p.m.), now you can at her cooking demonstration. The demo will take place at the Macy's in Aventura." http://bit.ly/YU89J1
NEW YORK: The retro-style diner Harlem Shake has opened in Harlem. The restaurant, named for the viral dance craze, will serve Pat la Frieda burgers, hot dogs, and milkshakes in a space that features 300 vintage covers of JET magazine. Gothamist: http://bit.ly/10v6I1I
Simon Doonan has designed a Broadway-themed window installation for Nexxus Salon Hair Care at a Duane Reade drugstore on West 51st Street, across from Radio City Music Hall. The display is in honor of the Tony Awards, for which Nexxus is an official beauty partner. It will stay up through June 16.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Darden Restaurants will open Yard House bar and grill in the I-Drive Live complex next spring. Orlando Sentinel: http://bit.ly/10Sb44X
Hue in Thornton Park will close soon and reopen in the fall with a new dining concept. Orlando Sentinel: http://thesent.nl/YYNtPR
TORONTO: The Canadian Gift and Tableware Association Fall 2013 Toronto Gift Show will be held at the International Centre and Congress Centre August 11-14.
Maph Productions, a Toronto-based event production and design company, has opened an office in Ottawa and can be reached at email@example.com.
WASHINGTON: Washington City Paper looks at the lineup for this year's DC Jazz Festival, which is June 5-16: http://bit.ly/10uKoFx
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Jenna Berris, Beth Kormanik, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Daily is the must-read digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
Advertise with BizBash: firstname.lastname@example.org