MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA Looking for a new venue to host your next event? Here are the most anticipated Miami/South Florida restaurants, corporate event venues, hotels, conference centers, and private and party rooms to open next year. These new and renovated Miami/South Florida venues can accommodate groups large or small for private and corporate events, conferences, meetings, weddings, business dinners, teambuilding activities, cocktail parties, and more.
1. The $275 million Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science will debut in summer 2016, opening in downtown's new 40-acre Museum Park. The 250,000-square-foot facility, designed by Grimshaw Architects, will include a 231-seat planetarium, a 600,000-gallon aquarium, indoor and outdoor space for science exhibits, and meeting and event rooms. The main gallery will hold 800 for receptions.
2. Inspired by the classic Jimmy Buffett song, Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort is slated for a summer opening. The 349-room resort will have a tropical feel, from its tiki bars to meeting rooms with cheeky names such as Continental Drifter, Fins Left, and Fins Right. The property will have 11 meeting spaces that include the 10,000-square-foot Compass Rose Ballroom.
3. The former Gansevoort Hotel Miami will reopen in early 2015 as 1 Hotel South Beach, an eco-conscious brand. The hotel will have more than 400 rooms, a rooftop pool, and a restaurant from chef Tom Colicchio.
4. The ME by Melia Miami is scheduled to open downtown in April after a renovation of the former Casa Moderna Hotel. The hotel, which will be the lifestyle brand's first property in the United States, will have 129 rooms, two rooftop pools, meeting and event space, and a spa, as well as STK Rebel, a casual steakhouse with indoor and outdoor dining.
5. Concrete Beach Brewery, a craft beer brewery, is slated to come to Wynwood in early 2015. The brewery will feature a two-story, 20-barrel brew house, an indoor and outdoor social hall for events and live entertainment, and retail space.
6. Hyatt South Beach will be the first Hyatt-branded hotel to open in Miami Beach when it debuts in the second quarter of 2015. The 105-room hotel will have 700 square feet of event space as well as a to-be-named Mediterranean restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Amenities include a third-floor pool, pool deck lounge and bar, and beach access.
7. The upscale movie house chain iPic Theaters plans to open a 40,000-square-foot, eight-screen theater in North Miami Beach in 2015. Each auditorium will seat as many as 50 people in plush seating. Food and beverage service—including cocktails—will be available. The theater, located at the Intracoastal Mall, replaces the now-closed Intracoastal 8 theater.
8. Aloft, Starwood's stylish limited-service brand, is opening in South Beach on March 19. The 235-room Aloft South Beach hotel will have 2,500 square feet of meeting space spread over three rooms and equipped with audiovisual tools such as 50-inch flat-panel plasma televisions with laptop hook-ups and a DVD player and free Wi-Fi. The property also will have the chain's Xyz bar and Re:mix lounge.
9. Kuro, a Japanese restaurant, is slated to open at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in January. The restaurant will feature an open dining room with tiered seating, a chef’s table, and a sushi bar as well as two private dining rooms and outside seating. The entire venue seats 240. David Mexico Design Group is handling design.
10. Hawks Cay Resort in the Florida Keys is undergoing the final phase of a multimillion-dollar renovation, with upgrades including a renovated kids’ activities center and an expanded adults-only area. It's slated to finish in June.