BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #362— Wednesday, 10.03.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. TOP BRANDS: Interbrand's annual Best Global Brands Report ranked the top 100 most valuable brands. Coca-Cola rose to the top spot with Apple in second place, while Disney and Hewlett-Packard fell from their top 10 rankings last year. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/WcwvrW
2. OREO CROWDSOURCING: To wrap their “Daily Twist” campaign—100 days of Oreo's brand team brainstorming and executing ads on the fly in real-time—Oreo, Draftfcb, and 360i worked live in a glass box in Times Square on the last of the ads. The final topic was the anniversary of the first high five, which was suggested and voted upon by consumers through social media. AdWeek: http://bit.ly/QLKlB9
3. GAME PLAN: Nintendo is looking to build buzz for the launch of two new Pokémon games by hosting a “massive interactive experience” at New York Comic Con next week. According to a press release, the effort will include live performances from the Chicago-based band I Fight Dragons, a live stage show, a Pokémon photo booth, and live Pokémon-themed ice sculpting. http://bit.ly/RAg5bR
4. IKEA APOLOGIES: After Ikea was slammed for removing, airbrushing, or reshooting photos in the Saudi Arabia catalog to remove all images of women, the brand has come clean with a message about its advertising strategy and brand values. AdWeek: “We should have reacted and realized that excluding women from the Saudi Arabian version of the catalog is in conflict with the Ikea Group values.” http://bit.ly/P93zBG
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Webinar: Tuesday, October 9 | Storytelling: The Magic of Disney | with Robert Gilbert, executive chef, Walt Disney World Resort. Learn the secrets of Disney’s approach to creating events with impact.
* INTERNAL NEWS: NEW YORK READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS *
Voting is now open for the New York edition of the BizBash Readers’ Choice Awards. You can vote for event pros in categories including Event Producer of the Year, Corporate Event Planner of the Year, and, new this year, Fund-Raising Event Planner of the Year. The winners will be announced at BizBash IdeaFest New York at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center on Wednesday, October 24. See the list of finalists and vote here: www.bizbash.com/nyvotes
* EVENT INNOVATION FORUM SPEAKER PREVIEW *
Projection mapping is one of the newest and most transformative technologies to be available to event marketers in quite some time. At the October 24 Event Innovative Forum, Travis Threlkel will share how his company Obscura Digital has used the technique for clients like YouTube and Coca-Cola. Threlkel will also explain what’s involved in bringing projection mapping to an event, what the range of costs is, and how to make sure it delivers the proper R.O.I. A sneak peek of Threlkel's presentation and the work he has produced is here: http://bizba.sh/Paamee
See the full lineup of speakers and topics, plus registration information: http://bizba.sh/SblYZy
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Broadway Gourmet will host its annual holiday preview event October 23. Called Preview 012, the event will showcase local catering trends and include a red carpet entrance, networking, and cocktails.
CHICAGO: The Driehaus Museum’s second annual Murder Mystery at the Marble Palace is October 26.
Cine, a contemporary Mexican restaurant, will open in the Hinsdale Theater in November with menu items such as tacos, ceviches, and tortas. A private dining room will hold 50.
Q-BBQ, which has locations in La Grange and Naperville, has special game-day catering packages. Menu items include chopped brisket, pulled pork, Memphis chicken wings, and mac 'n' cheese.
LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas Review-Journal has a roundup of events for Breast Cancer Awareness Month: http://bit.ly/QForPK
Successful Meetings: “In order to highlight the meetings industry's role in creating jobs and stimulating economic growth, the U.S. Travel Association will host the first-ever IMEX America Political Advocacy Forum during the upcoming IMEX America trade show.” http://bit.ly/SjSbnp
Nevada Business: “In 2011, almost 40 million people visited Las Vegas. Of those visitors, nearly 5 million were attending conventions and corporate meetings. In 2011 alone there were 19,029 conventions held in Southern Nevada, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority… Corporate meetings and conventions are up 16.2 percent.” http://bit.ly/SxISOW
LOS ANGELES: Quincy Jones received the Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award at a ceremony yesterday at the Chateau Marmont.
The Siren Loft is now open in Hollywood, offering more than 3,000 square feet of open space, air conditioning, power, a sound system, multiple restrooms, and a private elevator.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
LOUISVILLE: The American Bus Association will host its annual convention in Louisville in January 2016. This is the first time Louisville has been selected as host city for the event, which draws some 3,000 attendees.
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: UBM Live is revamping the 29th edition of Cruise Shipping Miami, set for March 11-14 at the Miami Beach Convention Center. The new and improved gathering will have themed pavilions and a conference program that will integrate input from global cruise events. http://bit.ly/PWcKT0
NEW YORK: Starting today, Style Media is promoting the third season premiere of its TV series Big Rich by offering free rides in branded SUVs. The effort also includes a Twitter and Instagram competition encouraging consumers to snap pics of the cars and share them on their social networks via the #MotherDaughterDrama hashtag.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Friday will be the opening day for the new home of Mad Cow Theater on Church Street in downtown Orlando.
TORONTO: Toronto will replace Edmonton in the 2013 IZOD IndyCar series by hosting a doubleheader on July 13 and 14. http://bit.ly/SE3FfZ
WASHINGTON: Victoria Isley has been appointed the executive director of the Destination & Travel Foundation.
The Washington Ballet named Syzygy Events as the exclusive decor designer for the 2012-2013 season. The partnership will debut Friday, October 5, at the Ballet’s Dracula Soiree taking place at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #362— Wednesday, 10.03.12