BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #365— Monday, 10.08.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
* INCOMING *
1. FIXING AD WEEK: After speaking with attendees at Advertising Week in New York, Ad Age offered seven tips for improving the conference, including cutting back on the obvious sponsorship of the panels, encouraging better promotions, and making sure the content of the discussions matches what's promised. http://bit.ly/VBFRj3
2. MANLY EATS: Esquire magazine released the 28th list of its annual Best New Restaurants of 2012. Restaurant of the Year went to the Optimist in Atlanta, Georgia. Esquire: http://bit.ly/UnI9ms
3. SIGNING UP: British singer Ellie Goulding will host the first digital album signing today to promote her new record. The signer will host the event on a Google+ Hangout with fans who were able to sign up in advance. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/TgkFyg
4. RAIN DATE: An experiential exhibit at London Barbican Art Gallery called RainRoom allows guests to enter a room that creates rainfall, but stay dry in the process. Once entered into the rainy space, a “cocoon of dryness is created around you.” Mashable: http://on.mash.to/SMKY9l
5. UBER PROBLEMS: San Francisco-based startup Uber, a car company that allows users to hail cars and pay via smartphone, is seeing traffic in their beginnings. The company is being sued for consumer fraud and unlawful practices by a Chicago taxi company. In addition to black cars, the company also offers taxis in the Windy City, and some of the complaints set against the company involve the tip not entirely going to the driver. Beta Beat: http://bit.ly/PXCMUY
6. TICKET STAND: Redbox, the grocery store DVD kiosks, will add tickets to live events to its offerings nationwide. Starting in Philadelphia, customers can purchase tickets with a fee of just $1 at kiosks and online in the company's pilot program. The Wall Street Journal: http://on.wsj.com/PYxUQs
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Webinar: Tuesday, October 9 | Storytelling: The Magic of Disney | with Robert Gilbert, executive chef, Walt Disney World Resort. Learn the secrets of Disney’s approach to creating events with impact.
* LOCAL NEWS *.
BOSTON: Halloween on the Harbor takes place in the Seaport District October 26. Billed as an experience for “grown-up trick-or-treaters,” the event encourages guests to wear costumes and transports them to participating bars and restaurants on a Duck Boat. Each location will offer specialty drinks and appetizers, and guests can have passports stamped for a chance to win prizes.
CHICAGO: The Empty Bottle will host the block party “Music, Friendly, Food Trucks” on October 21. The event will offer folk and country bands, vendors, and food trucks including the Brown Bag Lunch, Duck N Roll, and Bridgeport Pastry.
The 3Arts Awards Celebration is October 22 at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
Food & Wine will host its Chef Showcase (formerly the “Entertaining Showcase") at the Museum of Contemporary Art November 12. Participating restaurants include Hot Chocolate, Nightwood, and Slurping Turtle.
Baume & Brix opens on Tuesday. The venue was featured in our preview of 10 anticipated new venues for fall, and has a private dining room that hosts dinners for 48. http://bizba.sh/VD0ATC
The Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel will host the Windy City Ski & Snowboard Show October 19-21.
Table Hop & Taste, an event held in conjunction with Diffa's Dining by Design, is at the Merchandise Mart November 3. The event includes wine, cocktails, and bites from restaurants such as Prosecco, RL, and Spiaggia.
LAS VEGAS: On October 10, Blue Man Group is partnering with Red Bull to celebrate its new move to the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino. With the help of the Red Bull Air Force, the group will skydive from 7,000 feet above the property and land on the Rue De Monte Carlo.
BJI Fashion Group’s fashion trade show “Moda Las Vegas” will return in February under the new name “Stitch.”
LOS ANGELES: The second annual Green Festival is scheduled to take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on November 17-18. The eco-friendly festival will include speakers Russell Simmons, Shiva Rea, John Robbins, and Ed Begley Jr., among many others.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: Funded by the MetLife Foundation, the Miami Science Museum is offering Tripod +, a series of monthly science workshops for Spanish-speaking families.
NEW ORLEANS: Hyatt Regency New Orleans is celebrating its first anniversary by offering special rewards to planners who book events before December 31.
NEW YORK: The New York Academy of Science’s Science & the City program is hosting a month-long event series, Science and the Seven Deadly Sins. There will be seven events, one for each sin.
Last Tuesday, NYC & Company launched its European M.I.C.E. (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, Events) roadshow at Dstrkt in London.
The Michelin Guide released its newest New York City edition, awarding six-month-old Atera two stars. The New York Times: http://nyti.ms/T5V7OR
The Public Theater celebrated its re-opening last Thursday after four years and $40 million of renovations. http://huff.to/UjkT9j
Mindy Lyons has been appointed brand sales account executive at Livestream, an online resource that enables individuals to stream live videos of events.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: Smart City Networks completed a $1.4 million Wi-Fi network upgrade at the Orange County Convention Center.
TORONTO: Kristine Bowen is the new curator of education and public programs at the Power Plant.
Shangri-La Hotel opened in Toronto this month. The 202-room hotel has 14,626 square feet of meeting space, including a two-story room with 13 chandeliers hanging at different heights.
SAV Productions has been chosen as the audiovisual contractor for the Grand Musical Evening at Rogers Centre on November 3.
WASHINGTON: The Mandarin Oriental is commemorating the 57th Presidential Inauguration by offering special guests the “P.O.T.U.S.” (Presiding Over the Ultimate Suite) package, which includes four nights in the presidential suite.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #365— Monday, 10.08.12