BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #370— Monday, 10.15.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York
Feed the Sheet: email@example.com
* INCOMING *
1. MARATHON MOTIVATION: After the Road Runners club removed and then reinstated the bag-drop policy for this year's New York City Marathon earlier this year, The New York Times looks at what problems the ever-so popular sporting event deals with. Some criticism: The once grassroots and more cost effective event has become too corporate and expensive for lovers of the sport. http://nyti.ms/TmnQiU
2. JETBLUE CONCERT: JetBlue Airways will partner with the CMJ Music Marathon & Film Festival, which kicks off this week, to host a one-day music festival at JFK's Terminal 5. The CMJ Access Live from T5 concert takes place this Wednesday and, to build social media buzz, the airline brand offered passes to CMJ's music and film series by inviting consumers to tweet using the #TrueBlueAccess hashtag. Press release: http://sacb.ee/UTfzUP
3. HOME GROWN: To spotlight U.S. fashion, food, gardening, crafts, and technology, Martha Stewart is hosting the American Made Fair this Wednesday and Thursday. The consumer promotion with master classes, demonstrations, and panel discussions will take place in New York at Grand Central Terminal's Vanderbilt Hall and include an awards show. WWD: http://wwd.us/R0K9O0
4. PAPER VS. E-VITES: Three-year-old company Paperless Post announced today that it will launch a new line of paper stationery called Paper by Paperless Post. The line will offer customers the ability to choose invites to be sent electronically, have them printed, or both. The ironic change was spurred by the company's consumer research. Mashable: http://on.mash.to/RZgN2z
5. FIRST LADY LUNCHEON: Michelle Obama will head to Los Angeles on October 25 for a Hollywood fund-raiser hosted by Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. While $2,500 is the event entry cost, $10,000 per couple equals a photo with Mrs. Obama, and a $40,000 donation scores guests lunch, a photo op, and a meet-and-greet with the first lady. The Hollywood Reporter: http://bit.ly/PsDfCJ
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Soft Surroundings Copley Place will have its grand opening event on Wednesday. Produced by AJ Williams Events, the bash will offer style consultations from Giuseppe Pizutto, hand and arm treatments from Bliss, makeovers from Jane Iredale artists, snacks from chef Anthony Ambrose, and more.
CHICAGO: During Fashion Focus Chicago, Re.Stock Shop will take over Fiat Chicago to host a “Style in Motion” designer sale event on October 18. With cocktails and music from DJ Xonic, the showroom will offer deeply discounted merchandise from local and national designers. Chicago-based stylists will be on hand to offer fit and style consultations.
To celebrate its fifth anniversary, CS Interiors designed an “Anniversary Home” in the Ritz-Carlton Residences. Six Chicago designers each designed a room, using a local couple—Jason Scher and Katrina Markoff of Vosges Haut-Chocolate—as inspiration. The palatial apartment was open to the public on Friday and Saturday, and ticket proceeds benefitted the Lynn Sage Foundation.
Brooke Shields is the keynote speaker at the Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation's annual benefit at the Hilton Chicago on Wednesday. A silent auction will have new and collectible handbags from high-end boutiques and private collections.
LAS VEGAS: The 21st annual Philanthropy Awards Luncheon hosted by the Las Vegas Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals is scheduled for November 13 at the Golden Nugget.
The “Doing Business With Las Vegas” panel discussion and luncheon will be at the Rio All Suite Hotel and Casino on October 18. The panel will be moderated by Jordon Clark of Caesars Entertainment and will include travel and event-planning professionals.
On November 2 at Fleur by Hubert Keller, the chef will offer a prix-fixe menu featuring his favorite recipes in an effort to promote his new cookbook Souvenirs: Stories & Recipes From My Life.
LOS ANGELES: In honor of its 75th anniversary, the Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild will host a gala at the Hollywood Museum on November 3. MAC Cosmetics and The Hollywood Reporter are sponsoring the event.
The Roger Room mixology bar announced the launch of Roger Room Cocktail Catering and Bar Service for off-site events.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The Starlight Children's Foundation will host its 10th annual Starlight Greater Golf Tournament on October 19 at the Polo Club of Boca Raton.
NEW YORK: Presenters for this year's Fashion Group International's Night of Stars event will include Renee Zellweger, Viola Davis, Kim Hastreiter, and Sarah Jessica Parker. The event takes place on October 25. WWD: http://wwd.us/R0KLmM
The God’s Love We Deliver Golden Hearts Awards will take place this evening at the Cunard Building and will be catered by Canard Inc.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://www.masterplanneronline.com/newyork
ORLANDO: The 65th annual National Business Aviation Association Meeting & Convention will take place at the Orange County Convention Center October 30-November 1 and is expected to attract more than 25,000 business aviation professionals.
TORONTO: The 23-day Toronto Chocolate Festival began on Saturday and will continue through November 4. The festival features a variety of chocolate-themed events throughout the city, including a “Cocoa Cabaret” Chocolate Ball, a Tour de Chocolat, and a 911 Chocolate Relay.
WASHINGTON: The PR News’ One-Day Boot Camp for Emerging PR Stars is scheduled to take place at the National Press Club on November 29.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job: http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Melissa Ward Schorsch and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #370— Monday, 10.15.12