BIZBASH CALL SHEET — #402 — Tuesday, 12.4.12
++ Sponsored by Event Leadership Institute ++
Compiled today by Beth Kormanik in New York
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. YELP TAKEDOWN: Andrew Zimmern, the host of Travel Channel's show Bizarre Foods, tore into the review site in a recent edition of his podcast, Go Fork Yourself. “Yelp essentially gives a tremendous forum for a bunch of uninformed morons to take down restaurants.” Business Insider: http://read.bi/Vt9osn
2. STEVIE WONDER DROPS GALA: The singer cancelled his performance at the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces benefit in Los Angeles Thursday because of fighting in the Middle East. But Wonder may have felt pressure to bow out from the gala. Reuters: “According to a statement from the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation, a coalition that aims to change U.S. policy toward Palestine and Israel and support human rights and equality, Wonder's decision came after a 'growing outcry' from several organizations and three international signed petitions. The protest is part of a 'cultural boycott' led by organizations that oppose Israel's occupation of Palestinian territories, the statement said.” http://reut.rs/YzpyER
3. MARKETING MONEY: Most chief marketers reported larger budgets, feel safe in their jobs, and received bonuses last year, according to the Chief Marketing Officer Council “State of Marketing” audit. The sixth annual report assesses marketing planning, budget allocation, organizational development, and group operational effectiveness worldwide. Audit: http://bit.ly/TDgwnK
4. REVIVING LINCOLN: The luxury car brand has purchased its first Super Bowl ad and is launching another commercial showing luminaries such as Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Clark Gable, and Dean Martin driving Lincolns. The goal is “to create a brand comeback story for Lincoln in 2013 that falls in line with recent triumphs by Ford and Chrysler.” Adweek: http://bit.ly/11FqruT
5. “ZOMBIE COMPANIES” GET REVIVIED: Apple, LEGO, Ford, and Old Spice came back from the dead, turning their brands around with hard work. Mashable: “See how even companies in dire straits can find their way back to profitability with risk-taking, a new CEO, selloffs of unprofitable parts of the company, or even by leveraging viral videos.” http://on.mash.to/TAkNbx
++ A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR: Event Leadership Institute ++
Featured Video Class: Delivering Value for Event Sponsors | 1 hour, 10 chapters. Learn tips and strategies for making your sponsor relationships more fruitful and valuable.
* LOCAL NEWS *
BOSTON: Travelers Aid Family Services will host its 10th annual Home for the Holidays benefit Thursday at Parkman House on Beacon Hill.
Legal Harborside's New Year's Eve event, hosted on the glass-enclosed rooftop, will include live music, a midnight toast with NV champagne, and a view of the fireworks over Boston Harbor.
CHICAGO: AgencyEA was selected to design, manage, and produce the White House holiday decor this year for the third year in a row. The theme of the decor is Joy to All.
Municipal Bar + Dining Company will open December 15.
LAS VEGAS: The Convention Industry Council, the IMEX Group, and MGM Resorts International announced that the 2013 Hall of Leaders & Pacesetter awards gala will take place prior to IMEX America on October 13 in Las Vegas.
SF Gate: “Plans for a stadium on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus have moved a giant step closer to reality. The Nevada Board of Regents unanimously voted Friday in favor of a campus master plan that includes the 60,000-seat stadium.” http://bit.ly/UbNuql
LONDON: Fashion brand Miu Miu opened a women-only club, the MiuMiu London, for three days at the Café Royal. Women's Wear Daily: http://wwd.us/VtdZ1
LOS ANGELES: The Recording Academy announced artist Erika Iris Simmons will create the official artwork for the 55th annual Grammy awards.
After nearly 20 years with chef Wolfgang Puck and the Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group, executive pastry chef Sherry Yard announced her departure to open her own bakery. Yard will stay until the middle of January and will be replaced by pastry chef Della Gossett, who worked for almost a decade at Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago.
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar opened in Beverly Hills Monday night.
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/losangeles
MIAMI/SOUTH FLORIDA: The Delray Beach Marketing Cooperative is sponsoring Breakfast with Santa December 15 in the Grand ballroom of the Delray Beach Marriott. The hotel will cater the event, and Old School Bakery is sponsoring cookie decorating.
Rico Love will celebrate his 30th birthday Saturday at the SLS Hotel South Beach with a private dinner and fashion show by Roberto Cavalli Spring/Summer 2013, presented by Saks Fifth Avenue, Bal Harbour on a custom runway placed over the hotel’s infinity pool. Also sponsoring the evening is Grey Goose Cherry Noir.
The City of Miami Gardens announced that its eighth annual two-day music festival will kick off March 16 at Sun Life Stadium with performances by Earth Wind & Fire, Charlie Wilson, New Edition, Najee, Mary Mary, and Rachelle Ferrell.
NEW YORK: The Hispanic Small Business Summit is scheduled for Friday at the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Customs House.
Canard Inc. will be serving cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in-store at A La Vieille Russie today.
SmartSource Computer & Audio Visual Rentals is the official technology provider and gold sponsor for IAEE’s Expo! Expo!
Local event listings from Masterplanner: http://masterplanneronline.com/newyork
TAMPA: The Epicurean Hotel, a new property under construction, has hired Tom Haines as general manager. The hotel is scheduled to open in November 2013.
TORONTO: The Toronto Motorcycle Show will take place December 7 to 9 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
WASHINGTON: The Association of Corporate Travel Executives named Greeley S. Koch as its executive director.
YOUR NEWS: What are you doing? Tell us: email@example.com.
JOB BOARD: Post a job or find a job:http://jobs.bizbash.com
With contributions from Jenny Berg in Chicago, Alesandra Dubin in Los Angeles, Mitra Sorrells in Orlando, and Beth Kormanik, Joana Mangune, Lauren Matthews, and Anna Sekula in New York.
BizBash Call Sheet is the must-read daily digest of event industry news from BizBash.com.
Feed the Sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertise here: email@example.com