You Want to Close a New York City Street?

April 25, 2001, 12:00 AM EDT

Posted 04.25.01
Here's information on how to close a street in New York City for a street fair, festival or block party:

  • Where to go:
    For promotional or commercial events: The Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO), a division of the Community Assistance Unit (CAU) of the Mayor's office, 51 Chambers Street, Room 608, 212.788.7439,
    For a block party or street festival: First you must contact the local community board in your area, which will provide you with an application. After you submit a completed application to the board, it will be forwarded to SAPO. Don't know how to find your local community board? Contact SAPO, which will help direct you.

  • What you need to do: For promotional or commercial events, fax a full description of the proposed event on the company or organization's letterhead to the attention of Mildred Duran at SAPO at 212.788.7887.

  • A few things you should know: For promotional or commercial events, SAPO must receive applications at least three weeks in advance. Block party and street festival applications should be submitted to your community board at least 60 days in advance.

  • Cost: The permit fee is $15 for block parties and festivals, while the assessment fee for commercial events depends on the event type.

Your email inquiry will be sent to 3 venue