MGM Resorts International (MGM Resorts) has built a reputation for being a stellar host by understanding guests’ needs. The same holds true when it comes to relationships with meeting and event planners, who require top-of-the-line venues, incredible experiences to wow attendees, and a team in place to make the all-important face-to-face gatherings run smoothly.
The impressive portfolio of MGM Resorts properties in Las Vegas and other top destinations ensures there is something for every meeting and event planner. But what sets MGM Resorts apart is its fundamental belief in providing the best amenities while also serving as a responsible host. The team believes strongly in sustainability—through long-term relationships, eco-friendly advancements, and more.
Just as planners are committed to providing the best experience for attendees, MGM Resorts knows there is a responsibility to host events the right way. As one of the leaders in the meetings, conventions, and events industry, MGM Resorts strives to set the example for preserving resources and bettering the world.
Hosting meetings is more than a business at MGM Resorts. The stellar staff takes it personally, and the effort shines through at each and every event. This commitment to responsibility isn’t new—many of these programs have been ongoing for years.
With groups returning en masse to in-person meetings and activities, MGM Resorts gives you five reasons why they are an impactful partner to work with. Not only is MGM Resorts confident that your events will earn rave reviews, but it is proud to do its part to set industry standards.
1. Solar Savior
To help in the battle against climate change, MGM Resorts launched a 100-megawatt solar array—featuring 323,000 panels arranged across 640 acres—in 2021. Producing up to 90% of MGM Resorts’ Las Vegas daytime power needs, the array is the hospitality industry's largest directly sourced renewable electricity project worldwide.
The solar array is part of a larger objective to cut the company’s carbon footprint without sacrificing the guest experience. Goals include:
- Reduce the company's emissions by 45% per square foot by 2025.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2030.
- Source 100% renewable electricity in the U.S. and 80% globally by 2030.
In pursuit of these goals, MGM Resorts has:
- Installed more than 1.4 million LED lights in one of the country’s largest lighting retrofit projects.
- Pursued green building certification for all new property developments since 2009, earning multiple LEED certifications.
- Installed an 8.3-megawatt array at Mandalay Bay in 2015, making it America's largest contiguous rooftop solar array on a convention center.
- Transitioned to distribution-only service in its local utility grid in 2016, allowing its resorts to take control of their energy future and accelerate the use of renewable power.
2. Water Efficiency
As a premier hotel operator in the desert destination of Las Vegas, MGM Resorts understands the importance of water for cooling; irrigation and horticulture; pools and water features; guest rooms; food and dining services; and water, sanitation, and hygiene services to guests and employees. Conserving water has always been part of the mission, but MGM Resorts has expanded its ambition into water stewardship.
- In 2022, MGM Resorts president and CEO Bill Hornbuckle signed the CEO Water Mandate: a UN Global Compact initiative mobilizing business leaders to advance water stewardship. MGM Resorts International was the first gaming company to take this important step.
- MGM Resorts replaced 200,000 square feet of real grass with drought-tolerant landscaping in Las Vegas.
- MGM Resorts pledges to reduce water withdrawal intensity by 33% by 2025 and by 35% by 2030
- From 2007-2021, use of more than 5.6 billion gallons of water was avoided because of conservation efforts.
3. Food Donations Program
MGM Resorts’ Food Donation Program collects and preserves unserved and untouched food from conventions held at MGM Resorts properties, then safely donates to food-insecure people in the community. The initiative reduces food waste while giving back to the community. Since the program’s launch in 2016, more than 3.4 million meals towards our 2025 goal of 5 million have been donated to the community. Donations include:
- Unserved, perishable prepared foods from events
- Perishable, unprepared food from MGM Resorts’ kitchens
- Nonperishable food items from minibars and warehouses
The collaboration with Southern Nevada’s primary food bank, Three Square, has developed the infrastructure needed to safely collect, transport, and store food from MGM Resorts properties in Las Vegas.
4. Leaders in Diversity
To MGM Resorts, a diverse and talented workforce is essential to success. By cultivating innovative strategies that consider multiple perspectives and viewpoints, the company creates an inclusive workplace culture that benefits its employees and community. MGM Resorts takes pride in being a welcoming home for veterans, individuals with disabilities, people from diverse backgrounds, LGBTQ+ community members, and more. This commitment to inclusion is reflected in the company's recruitment and hiring practices and its social responsibility initiatives. From the workplace to the community, MGM Resorts' commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion remains unwavering, and its efforts continue to create a more equitable and sustainable world for all.
MGM Resorts recognizes that supplier diversity is key to driving innovation by allowing the company to provide unique services and amenities only available at its destinations. This is why the company is committed to empowering diverse business owners with its Supplier Diversity Mentorship Program, providing diverse-owned businesses the tools to enhance their operations and better compete in today's fast-paced business environment. By prioritizing supplier diversity, MGM Resorts creates economic opportunities that foster a more sustainable and equitable business ecosystem.
5. People Come First
MGM Resorts is committed to embracing humanity and protecting the planet. These core company values are embodied by a truly exceptional team of like-minded employees, who translate them into action while providing a truly unmatched guest experience. A priority on personal touches and attentive service makes the team at MGM Resorts rise above, and a collaborative culture leads to delivering excellence while helping to build sustainable communities.
MGM Resorts views planners as partners, and events as a chance to solidify the commitment to more meaningful meetings. Come experience for yourself the MGM Resorts difference.