2014 Preview: 10 Most Anticipated Miami/South Florida Venues for Meetings and Events
Here's a look at the most anticipated Miami/South Florida restaurants, hotels, party rooms, corporate event venues, conference centers, and private rooms to open this year. These new and renovated Miami/South Florida venues can accommodate groups large or small for private and corporate events, meetings, business dinners, cocktail parties, conferences, weddings, and more.
1. Edition, the new hotel brand from Ian Schrager for Marriott, opens its first United States location in Miami Beach in the next few months following locations in London and Istanbul. The 250-room Edition Miami Beach—formerly the Seville Hotel—will have playful amenities such as its own bowling alley, ice skating rink, and celebrity entrance.
2. Also anticipated at Edition Miami Beach is a new restaurant from chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten. The restaurant will be the second concept from the three-star Michelin chef, following J&G Grill in Bal Harbour.
3. Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto plans to open Morimoto South Beach and operate the food and beverage program at Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach in March. It's his first Miami outpost, although he operates Morimoto Sushi Bar at the Boca Raton Resort & Club.
4. The property once known as the Perry South Beach hotel and before that the Gansevoort South Hotel is reopening as 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach. Positioned as an eco-friendly retreat, the hotel is designed by New York-based Meyer Davis Studio and will include a restaurant concept from chef Tom Colicchio. It is slated to open in the early part of the year after a $100 million renovation.
5. Positioning itself as a "24-hour dayclub and nightclub," E11even is a new concept in downtown Miami. The 25,000-square-foot club will offer a variety of performances—it's auditioning contortionists, runway models, female drummers, and acrobats—and offer its own culinary and beverage program. The $40 million project is slated to open soon.
6. The rooftop venue Touché Restaurant & Lounge is a 7,000-square-foot space slated to open on the rooftop of E11even in February. The concept is from chef Carla Pellegrino of Top Chef fame.
7. Fashion designer Roberto Cavalli opened Cavalli Miami Restaurant & Lounge in January. The Miami Beach Italian restaurant has a dining room on its first floor and a lounge available for private events on the second floor. The space also has outdoor seating on a large terrace. The interiors reflect the designer's flamboyant taste, with zebra and jaguar print chairs and floral prints throughout the space.
8. Think Hotel Group is opening South Beach Hotel, a 51-room boutique property, in March. The Art Deco building includes a lobby with hand-carved Guatemalan wood furniture and a redesigned courtyard. The outdoor Sweetwater Beer Garden—which began as a pop-up concept at the property Ansonia Hotel—will move to South Beach Hotel with colorful picnic tables, pool views, and an expanded food and beverage menu. It will accommodate 250 for receptions or 175 for seated events.
9. Las Vegas nightclub veterans Cy Waits and Cory McCormack are importing their high-end vision with Adoré Nightclub in Miami Beach. The Collins Avenue club had a soft debut at Art Basel but is now open to the public. The interiors have a candle-bedecked bar, engraved antique mirrors, and booths encircling the dance floor. The audiovisual equipment provides a modern contrast, with a floor-to-ceiling LED display and a 3-D LED sphere described as a 21st-century disco ball. The club has a Funktion One sound system and lighting and video design from SJ Lighting. The space is 12,000 square feet and holds about 1,000 on its two levels.
10. R House, a restaurant, lounge, and art space in Wynwood, opened in January. The 168-seat restaurant has a dining room with an exhibition kitchen, an outdoor terrace, and a lounge that offers DJs and live music. In a nod to its arts district neighborhood, the building's exterior features murals painted by local and international artists including Evoca1, Janet Mueller, and Eduardo Kobra. The eclectic menu comes from chef and owner Rocco Carulli, who previously owned Edwige at Night in Provincetown, Massachusetts.
- Featured Venues/Suppliers: